PDA

View Full Version : Barbara Bowen-Kelso Update

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

aikidoc
02-28-2003, 09:39 PM
For those of you who so graciously contributed to Barbara's fund, I want to update you on her status. She is scheduled to go in for repair of the second aneurysm in the middle of March. Apparently, this aneurysm will be able to be repaired by going in through a vessel in her thigh and implanting some sort of stint to keep the aneurysm from rupturing. Although the procedure is very risky, it is much less risky than the repair of the first and largest aneurysm and obviously less traumatic.

Barbara has been doing well with her rehab and is making great progress. Please keep positive thoughts for her while she undergoes a second aneurysm repair.

akiy
02-28-2003, 10:25 PM
Hi John,

Please send Barbara our best regards. I hope this upcoming procedure goes well. I'm sure there'll be a lot of people here, including me, who will be keeping her in our thoughts.

-- Jun

John Boswell
03-01-2003, 11:27 AM
Hey Jun,

Thanks again for all you did in helping Barbara and the fund raiser you set up to help. I bought 10 raffle tickets and won a VERY cool picture of O'Sensei that will go great in the Dojo. I think Barbara herself wants to hang it up, I'm looking forward to that!

Tons of support came around for Barbara... thanks to all! And thanks for running a great website, Jun! :)

Les Kelso
03-01-2003, 01:11 PM
Barbara and I would like to extend our heartfelt gratitude for all of your prayers and positive thoughts during this stressful time for her.

She has mastered the speech and cognitive therapy and they have taken her off it totally. She still attends physical and occupational therapy three days a week and will probably for a few months yet.The Dr's said the reason she has made such a remarkable recovery is mainly attributable to her physical and mental conditioning from training 5 days a week for the last 7 years in martial arts. He said it is RARE for a 47 year old woman to literally come through the trauma she went through unscathed as she did.

We attribute it to divine intervention AND martial arts and the very remarkable Barbara herself. Barbara has always had a very quiet but powerful demeanor about her. It has held her in good stead.

Thank you all for keeping her in your prayers again as she goes in for the last (we hope) surgical procedure..(Riggs sensei described it perfectly)...Barbara is very anxious to get it over with so she can get back on the mat and get her life on track again...As I write this she is preparing a 1/2 acre garden at our new residence in the country..planting potatoes onions and peas. I know I know I know.....I try to slow her down.

May God bless each of you for caring.

Thanks again,

Les Kelso

Ta Ch'u Academy of the Martial Arts

Col.Clink
03-01-2003, 05:31 PM
Thanks for the update on Barbara. Good thoughts to her for the next op.

:ai: :ki:

Respectfully

Rob

aikidoc
03-04-2003, 10:34 PM
I want to thank Michael Ellefson and all the aikidoka out Minnesota way that put on a friendship type seminar and contributed to Barbara's medical fund. That was an extremely generous and appreciated gesture. Mange tusen takk (that's many thousand thanks for non Norwegians).

John