PDA

View Full Version : Holding weapons

Please visit our sponsor:

Jessica
02-01-2003, 03:30 PM
Hi all,
I was wondering, what is the formal / traditional way to carry a jo while walking?
Thanks-

DaveO
02-01-2003, 06:13 PM
I was taught to hold it in the right hand with the back of the hand up and the index finger laying along the weapon, holding the jo at the midpoint. The jo's upper tip rests behind the shoulder, the lower tip held slightly outward. There may be other ways to hold it formally; hope this helps. :)

Abasan
02-02-2003, 12:18 AM
I always thought you should hold it with your left hand pointing downwards but thumb on top, with the back end protuding from behind your shoulder near the left armpit.

erikmenzel
02-02-2003, 07:33 AM
As I was learned, the two different ways of holding the jo coincide with to different attitudes and messages. Hold the jo right: ready to use, I am alert, I dont trust (you) or dont come closer.

Hold the jo left: Everything is ok, I am friendly and trusting.

I was told it is similar to the way you display your swords: Ready for quick use, or not ready for quick use.

Of course I might be wrong.

Jessica
02-02-2003, 08:30 AM
Thanks, I think that helps.

akiy
02-02-2003, 11:28 AM
As I was learned, the two different ways of holding the jo coincide with to different attitudes and messages. Hold the jo right: ready to use, I am alert, I dont trust (you) or dont come closer.

Hold the jo left: Everything is ok, I am friendly and trusting.
Interestingly enough, a friend of mine with a lot of experience in Shinto Musoryu jo says that it doesn't matter which side you hold the jo since, unlike a Japanese sword which is a right-handed weapon, the jo is an "ambidextrous" weapon; a person proficient in its use is dangerous from either side.

-- Jun