PDA

View Full Version : Begginner again

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

Erik Young
01-28-2003, 08:37 AM
Hello all,
I thought I'd pop in and introduce myself. I'm a new=old beginner. By that, I mean that I studied for about 5 years with Cathy Crane Sensei in the late 80's. Unfortunately, life citrcumstances pulled my away from aikido. I bounced around a bit, trying different tings, kung fu, karate, tai chi, etc.

In any event, I'm returning to aikido at teh age of 32. Actually, I was looking ofr a MA for my son. He has ADHD, and impulisivity leads him to be rather clumsy (he does everything at breakneck speed). Actuaslly, he could be quite physically gifted if his internal awareness of his body and its relation to the rest ofc the world were increased...i.e. his ability to focus and concentrate.

For a couple of eyars I visited varuiosu schools..either I oculd not afford them, or they weren't really what I wanted for Zack. In at least oen case, I found a really good Kempo school with good insturctors and reasonable rates...but I still had a problem teaching my impulsive son how to punch and kick well....right now he's very gentle...seemed risky perhaps.

I finally found this web page and located some local dojos...msot don't offer children's classes. Anyway, I found one that did, and it turns out to be a really great place. I watched a children's class and an advanced adult class. It was like goign home again. I wanted to run on the mat and start training!

It's now been two weeks (3 classes with a fourht one in a couple of days)..I figured, If my son is taking aikido, I should as well...a good father-son activity, eh?

Zack is taking to it like a duck to water...the only other time I see him as focused as when he's on the mat is when he's playing video games...it's really amazing. Some of that clunsiness jsut melts away.

As for me, I'm having fun but have a few challenges to overcome.

1) I'm not 19 anymore. In my mind, my memories are of a strong 19 year old man doing aikido. The reality is quite different. I'm learning to slow down and be patient.

2) I'm going from Iwama style to Kokikai style. I'm having to re-learn old habits. Not so bad I suppose. Hell, when I orginially trained I didn't know from styles. Truly, it seems to me that for all the subtle differences, the similarities are greater. In any event, it's fun...the teachers and students are accepting, patient, and a good group of people.

3) I've got to get back in shape. I don;t like huffing and puffing on the mat. Am starting a cardio excercise program to deal with this. Agasi, I'm not 19 anymore.

Ah well, see ya on the mats (or not).

Peace,
Erik

PS. My others activities include music performance (classical and jazz piano, folk/acoustic guitar) and woodworking. Also, I'm a psychologist by profession.

erikmenzel
01-28-2003, 08:48 AM
Welcome Erik

enjoy and train

akiy
01-28-2003, 09:19 AM
Hi Erik,

Thank you for your introduction. Welcome to the AikiWeb Forums!

-- Jun

Janet Rosen
01-28-2003, 11:02 AM
Hi, Erik

You are not so old! I started at 41 and have trained with sempai who started at 50 (I watched one take his bb test at age 60, it was a lovely study in focus and in conservation of energy).

I give myself permission to pace myself: do 2 rolls for every 3 the others do for instance, or start the class working slowly and aiming for precision, building up speed as the class progresses, and bringing it down to slower speeds before class ends. Paying attention to breathing and posture, which should be part of it for all of us, seems even more important to us older folks....

Erik Young
01-28-2003, 11:40 AM
Janet (and others)

Thank you for the qarm welcome. It's truly appreciated.

Just a quick clarificatiopn though, I didn;t want to insinuate that 32 is old...I certainly don;t feel old. Also, I have trained with 50+ yudansha in the past.

My point being that I need to bridge the mental gap between who I was (my memories) to who I am...In my mind, I'm 19 and have been pracitcing for many years. In reality, I'm rusty, 10+ years older, and 50+ pounds heavier. So, in my mind, where I used to be able to do a big roll over 4 or 5 people, I can;t do that right now (give me a little time and I'm sure that will cahnge). My challenge will be to bridge the gap between who I was and who I am and somehow come to a new and stronger place in the meantime.

However, I will take your advice to heart aned work to not push myself. This new3 dojo really focuses on precision, so that's a good thing for me.

Peace,

Erik

Dave Porter
02-23-2003, 07:11 PM
Don't feel bad. I'm in the same boat. I trained in Karate for 3 or so years in my mid 20's, now I'm back on the mat (For real) for the first time in about 3 years, and OH GOD am I sore. Take the advice guven here..GO SLOW! We're not 20 anymore and flexiblity is a thing of the past for now. Good luck!

~Dave~

DCP
02-23-2003, 08:17 PM
Ha! HA! HA! HA!

I am laughing because I know what you're feeling! Just participated in a seminar (aikikai and yoshinkai friendship gathering) yesterday and I am SORE!

I went a Looooong while w/o training and have yet to knock the rust off, and get into shape. I think I share many similarities as you.

My big problem is that I'm fine until I stop moving. You know, have a great workout, feel great afterward. Get in the car, slowly stiffen up, arrive home, and crawl through the front door. The next day arrives and then it gets BAD.

Seems to me that when people "leave" aikido, if their heart was really in it, they find their way back.

I hope when my kids get older, they too take interest in aikido.

I'm glad you are back on the mat. I feel much better since I "restarted" (despite the soreness!) :)

Erik Young
02-24-2003, 01:37 PM
Thank you all for the kind words.

I'm doing all right now. I've particiapted in a couple of our regular classes in addition to the beginner classes...it's liek starting over, but with memories and reflexes from some past life. A truly fascinating experience.

I also can relate to the stiffening up car ride thing. I live ahbout 45 minutes from where I train...plenty of time to get locked into a seated position on the ride home. LOL!

Peace,

Erik

Daniel Blanco
03-23-2003, 04:56 PM
ERIC I STARTED TRAINING AT 38 YRS OLD STAY PAITENT TRAIN AT YOUR PACE AND IT WILL ALL FALL INTO PLACE. MEANING FORM AND SPEED , ITS JUST AS EASY FOR US OLDER GUYS,JUST TRY TO BY PASS THOSE BREAKFALLS, AND ROLL INSTEAD AS DONOVAN SENSEI SAYS FOR US OLDER PEOPLE.