PDA

View Full Version : Shinkendo crosstraining?

Please visit our sponsor:

Jeff Tibbetts
01-28-2003, 12:47 AM
I just noticed today that there is a dojo in a town a half-hour from me that teaches Shinkendo, and I was considering going down there ocne a week. My question is, do any of you have some experience with this, and if so, has it helped your Aikido at all? I've heard from some people that most styles of Kendo are not that similar to the swordwork that we do in Aikido, anyone have a comment on the validity of that? My time is very limited, but I think that eventually I will train there as I have a strong interest in it. Should I devote some time to it now, or wait untill I have a firmer root in Aikido (I'm still quite new)? I know that's a lot of questions, but I'm still trying to decide if I should be excited or not get my hopes up on the subject. Thanks, everyone, in advance!

ocbolton
01-28-2003, 07:00 AM
My view FWIW. do it if you want to.

I train in kendo and iaido as well and find both compliment aikido very well. yes some things are different but other principles are the same but reinforced in different ways.

Good luck

MikeE
01-28-2003, 07:20 AM
I have trained in Shinkendo. Very interesting and utilitarian sword style. It's roots are based in the Toyama-ryu Batto jutsu system.

Emphasis will be on movement and lots of cutting (tameshigiri). So, it is fun too.

Toshishiro Obata Kaiso is the founder of the style, he was an uchi deshi in the Yoshinkan under Shioda Kancho.

I found it fun, and great for my swordwork...but, I really don't think it had much of an effect on my open hand technique because our style of Aikido is very Ki driven and flowing.

I would go check it out and see if its for you.

All the Best,

Jeff Tibbetts
01-29-2003, 07:55 AM
Michael, I was unaware that the founder of Shinkendo was an Aikidoka. Thanks for the info, I should have looked it up on the net before I posted. Sorry about that.

MikeE
01-29-2003, 11:32 AM
Jeff,

No apologies necessary.

Obata Kaiso also has some interesting views on present day Aikidoka. If you can get his book Samurai Aikijutsu...it will give you some better background into the art and his philosophy.

In april I will be visiting some friends near Cedar Rapids. Would it be okay for me to visit and train?

Jeff Tibbetts
01-31-2003, 11:51 AM
Micael, I'm sure our instructor would love to have you. If you give me a date I can clear it with him. We practice on Tues and Thursday from 6:30 to 8:00 and on Saturday morning at 8:00 to 9:30. I can't come to classes on Tuesday night right now, but that would be great to see you there in April. I think this whole Aikiweb thing kicks butt, what a great way to train and travel!

Jeff Tibbetts
01-31-2003, 11:52 AM
Oh, and let me know if you need to know how to get there... I could possibly meet you somewhere before as it's a little tough to find if you're not familiar with downtown Cedar Rapids.

Eric Joyce
01-31-2003, 01:28 PM
Hey Jeff,

In a nut shell, what was Obata sensei's view on present day Aikidoka? Just curious. I am interested in his style and I would like to know what his view is? Thanks.

Ron Tisdale
01-31-2003, 01:57 PM
You might want to browse the discussion that was held with him on www.e-budo.com

http://www.e-budo.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?sortfield=lastpost&sortorder=&forumid=43&pagenumber=1&daysprune=1000&x=11&y=11

You won't be able to post, but you will be able to read the questions and answers. Nathan Scott is on that forum, and I'm sure would be glad to answer questions. I believe he is one of Obata Sensei's senior students.

Ron Tisdale

Edward
01-31-2003, 08:55 PM
I have his video, Samurai Aikijutsu. Very brutal stuff. He literally destroys his uke, who looks very obviously very scared by his master. He looks very mean. Uke has to walk a few steps behind him at all times. Uke has obviously suffered a few times, probably injured, as we can see the expressions on his face: Pain and fear. I could swear that he was enjoying beating his uke up. A lot of Tameshigiri is demonstrated as well. As for his views on present day aikidoka, I really advise you to see his video so that you know what aikido is not about...

Sorry if my post sounds too critical, but that's how I feel about it.

akiy
01-31-2003, 09:05 PM
Here's a seminar review I wrote when I went to a seminar with Obata sensei a while back:

http://www.aikiweb.com/about/seminars/obata0498.html

-- Jun

Jeff Tibbetts
02-02-2003, 12:06 AM
Eric, I actually don't know very much about Obata-san other than what I've read so far... I strongly urge you to follow the links that these other gentlemen posted and read those posts on e-budo specifically. I'm still learning about what the school is about, too!

ccain85
02-11-2006, 09:14 PM
sorry for posting an old thread, but i had to. our dojo just recently began holding a shinkendo class. we bring in kevin sensei(dont know his last name) and yes, shinkendo is lots and lots of cutting. it is very fun though. dont really think it will affect my aikido one way or anoter but i could be wrong.