PDA

View Full Version : Attracting New Members

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

Alan Mung
01-10-2003, 09:00 AM
Hello All,

At the club I attend we are about to embark on a process to try and attract some new blood to the club. We have a website, and a poster at the centre where we train. This sort of thing seems quite a good way for us to let other Aikidoka hear about us if they are actively looking but I was wondering if any of you had any ideas about how to rouse the curiosity of people who have possibly never tried any martial arts. Looking at a recent poll it seems that most people hear about dojos from other Aikidoka which seems quite natural once you are in the loop so to speak but what made you first think I will give it a try please? Personally I read a book and then sought out a dojo which is of little use in this instance.

Any ideas you have would be greatly appreciated, also I am away from PC for the weekend so am not being rude and not replying.

Many Thanks,

Ed

Veers
01-10-2003, 09:12 AM
Okay, well, you asked... :D

I first heard about aikido from Tekken. I used Nina and found her grabs and throws to be cool. Then my friends and I started playing a role playing game called Shadowrun and my character uses Aikido (he's the team assistant/medic type...) and I had never really gotten what I thought to be a good representation of aikido, since I knew Tekken to be unrealistic and Shadowrun is all pencil and paper.

Anyway, so, with the prospect of a job last year, and the desire for exercise and the ability to defend myself without a gun, I looked on the internet for aikido information. I downloaded lots of movies from the aikidojournal and read articles on aikiweb.

Then I talked to Jorge Garcia on this forum and he said he'd be in town at a seminar and invited me to come. I went, met Kato Sensei and several other aikidoka, went to dinner with five of them, and decided that day I wanted to start.

Now that I have a job which will allow me to, I only have to wait 3 weeks for Joel (a friend of Jorge) to open his dojo!

Kevin Beyer
01-10-2003, 09:48 AM
It is good to hear that another aikidoka has played one in Shadowrun :)

Veers
01-10-2003, 09:54 AM
Way cool, chummer. :] But I'm not an aikidoka yet.

siwilson
01-10-2003, 10:22 AM
I never wanted to do Aikido! :)

I started doing Judo as a child and later stopped when I got seriously into target rifle shooting, as something had to give. Later I was posted away working with the military and had no time to carry on shooting, but ended up training in various martial arts on and off. Plus, I found Aikido too soft and didn't think much of it.

A few years later I was posted to the North East of England and started lookin for a place to train. I found a Judo club about 15 miles away, and there were 3 Karate clubs in the town, but I had never ben fond of Karate.

Then an Aikido Shodan Military Policeman was posted in to the same camp as I, so I thought I would go and check it out. It was totally different to the Aikido I had seen before, not so soft at all. It was Shudokan Aikido, which is a school which was founded in Malaysia by one of Gozo Shioda Sensei's earliest students in Yoshinkan. I was hooked and I still am years later.

My Aikido has taken me all over the UK, to Poland, Slovakia, Malaysia, Thailand and Germany (where I run a dojo).

I think that sometimes you can tell people that you are there, what you do, but it is not until they see or try it that they can know if they want to join you. That's the trick!

Possibly your dojo could think about putting on a demonstration in a prime location in your town, preferably with the chance for people to try it once the spectator part has finished (inviting people on to the mats for 15 to 30 minutes).

Hope all goes well.

kung fu hamster
01-10-2003, 10:22 AM
Lot's of great ideas at this thread...

http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=2763

Good luck!

Alan Mung
01-13-2003, 02:43 AM
Thanks for your responses.