PDA

View Full Version : Training outside dojo

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

Amin Basri
01-05-2003, 12:52 AM
Hi,

I am a beginner in aikido and i really enjoy doing aikido that i can do it every day without feeling bored.However my dojo training is only once a week and an hour long.Also i am now having my holidays which is six months long and i want to spend this six months doing aikido but as i've said my aikido training in the dojo is limited.I am wondering if i can self-train in aikido in beetween my aikido training in the dojo and i would really appreciate any suggestion regarding training aikido outside dojo time.Thanks in advance.

Regards,
AB

erikmenzel
01-05-2003, 04:19 AM
There are a couple of things you can do alone. Practice body movements is the easiest to do alone. Practice tenkan, irimi tenkan etc. You can practice suburi (with weapons). You can do a lot of the techniques with an imaginairy partner. You can read books.

Lyle Bogin
01-05-2003, 08:42 AM
Try the exercises demonstrated on www.bodymindandmodem.com

The "ki trainig". These components will develop basic skills that are the foundation for even the most advanced aikido techniques.

Thomas Froman
01-05-2003, 09:31 AM
I would also recommend doing the exercises in the excellent book "Aikido and the Dynamic Sphere". These exercises are the basis for a lot of Aikido moves and you will see a lot of overlap with the Ki Training website suggested by Mr. Bogin.

Lyle Bogin
01-05-2003, 09:35 AM
I believe both volumes of information are derived from Tohei Sensei's work.

mike lee
01-05-2003, 10:45 AM
I am wondering if i can self-train in aikido in beetween my aikido training in the dojo and i would really appreciate any suggestion regarding training aikido outside dojo time.

Run a mile to an open field with ken in hand. Do 100 sword cuts, stretch, rock and roll, tumble on the ground. Fifty push-ups, sit-ups, squats. Stretch. More forward and backward rolls. A hundred more sword cuts. Run a mile back with ken in hand.

Next time, do it with a friend.

The time after that, practice ikkyo with him.

You will become the toughest in the world!

Hanna B
01-06-2003, 02:26 PM
For a beginner, I'll second practising rolls. Put some blankets on top of each other on the floor, and make suer you have no sharp corners around. I did it. Being able to roll on this slightly harder surface was great for my confidence.