PDA

View Full Version : Meep meep.

Please visit our sponsor:

sauth
12-27-2002, 11:36 PM
Allo. I'm not actually studying aikido at the moment, due to time and financial constraints, but I definitely plan to as soon as possible.

I am, however, studying tai sabaki (I'm sure most of you are familiar with the term) karate, a hard/soft style based on shotokan karate with a healthy dose of jujitsu. Aikido would definitely compliment this, and my teacher has encouraged me to pursue my interest.

I've also studied tai chi, but only kata practice for meditative purposes. No push hands or anything like that.

I go to school in New Orleans, though I'm often in central Georgia for holidays. Unfortunately, the closest aikido dojos to the Macon, GA area all seem to be in or near Atlanta, which is quite a drive, and I have no car of my own.

Hopefully this summer I'll be able to stay in New Orleans and train with the dojo downtown, which I've visited and got a pretty good vibe from.

I'm a CS major, and a soon-to-be-official Japanese minor, though I've only got a single semester of the language under my belt.

For those familiar with karate, I'm up to Heian Yondan, my sixth kata (we do a soft kata unique to us, and kihon kata, which is similar to taikyoku shodan.) I'm also learning Heian Sandan Bo.

I'll probably mostly be a lurker, especially until I actually start studying aikido.

Cheers,
Sean

Nobleronin4
12-29-2002, 09:03 PM
Sean, I live in Macon GA and the closest aikido instructor i've found is in the Warner Robins area. If your interested I can give you his e-mail address.

Lone Shinobi
05-25-2006, 11:57 AM
I understand you problem my friend.Is there anyone interested in teaching Aikido in Macon? I mean,come on. Macon can not be that boring? Someone please get the courage and strength to atleast try to teach in this town. What's this about a Aikido instructor in Warner Robins? I heard of one that teaches Tomiki Aikido there.But from what I was told,it is a sport form and not a tradictional form.Also,this other Sensei does not not have a listing at all.Besides I only seek local training under a tradictional form of Aikido and not some sport.O-Sensei never intended Aikido to be used as a sport.

Bronson
05-25-2006, 02:30 PM
Read some of the posts by Tomiki and Shodokan stylists here on Aikiweb. Better yet, read some of Tomiki sensei's works. Keep an open mind and get in the dojo.

I myself come from a lineage that would be considered a softer style. I love it and am exceedingly happy with what we do. However, I would jump at the chance to train with a qualified instructor from the Tomiki lineage.

Bronson

Jeffrey Law
05-17-2009, 11:14 AM
I'm looking for someone in central Georgia (Macon-Warner Robins) who teaches Akikdo. Any assistance will be appreciated.

slayer205
10-19-2010, 11:19 AM
in winder georgia there is the aikido school of athens . its a very good dojo.

Janet Rosen
10-19-2010, 12:06 PM
(sigh) another resurrection.... the OP was thinking about aikido 8 yrs ago and the penultimate poster logged on once, almost 18 months ago, with a query.

Lan Powers
10-19-2010, 12:23 PM
It's kind of telling when you actually remember the post when it first came up....
(I do)