PDA

View Full Version : Human Cloning ?

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

JPT
12-27-2002, 02:03 PM
It seems that scientists have finally made a large step in progress with the supposed birth of the first human clone. My question is:- Is it a step in the right or wrong direction ?
:triangle: :square: :circle:

Kevin Wilbanks
12-27-2002, 03:40 PM
I think it would be cool if they could grow viable clones with extremely limited brains incapable of anything we recognize as thought or consciousness. Everyone could just start growing a clone at birth. We could just keep them in tanks down in the basement, or at some storage facility, then when we got injured or some organ or bodypart wore out, we'd have plenty of spare parts.

Thalib
12-27-2002, 05:06 PM
Wilbanks-san... I just got images in my head from those bad science fiction and/or horror movies when you said the above. Scary to think that I have a "lifeless" body in a tank stored in the basement somewhere.

Gvies me the creeps.

Thalib
12-27-2002, 05:54 PM
Just watched Fox News Live... around 0635 Eastern.

There's some guy... cult leader Ra'el whatever said he met some aliens and got enlightenment how the aliens created humans out of genetic engineering. I mean I have always kept an open mind, but this is just a cult movie classic, he just cracks me up. I mean I saw this guy on the news, he was wearing sometype of white pesudo-retro-budo-spaced-out wear. But, the scary thing is... this is serious, and it is not a bad sci-fi movie.

Here's a couple of stories on the Ra'elians and Clonaid:

http://www.cnn.com/2001/HEALTH/06/30/clone.lab.txt/

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,73987,00.html

Funny that... minutes after I read this thread, the news popped out on Fox. It's still on...

Peatee-san did you start this thread because the announcement of Clonaid's President, Brigitte Bosselier, on the birth of the cloned baby.

This is scary stuff, the genie is out of the bottle...

JPT
12-27-2002, 08:04 PM
Peatee-san did you start this thread because the announcement of Clonaid's President, Brigitte Bosselier, on the birth of the cloned baby.

Yes, & I agree very scary!

JPT
12-27-2002, 08:16 PM
Here is a link to the Raelians offical site

www2.rael.org/int/english/index.html (http://www2.rael.org/int/english/index.html)

Kevin Wilbanks
12-27-2002, 08:40 PM
You know, now that I think about it, if you kept your clone unconscious and stored in a tank, most of the spare parts would be atrophied and of limited value from lack of use. Plus, you'd have to waste all the energy feeding it and maintaining the tank, getting nothing in return...

I think it would work better if you could modify the brain of the clone to about the intelligence level of a laborador retriever. Then you could teach it to do chores and play games, and make sure it gets plenty of exercise so that all the parts are in good shape and ready to harvest. Then, when you didn't want to deal with it, you could just keep it chained up in the basement or tethered outside. It would be like a pet, butler, and medical insurance plan all rolled into one.

PeterR
12-27-2002, 08:59 PM
I would say that within 20 years you could take one of your own cells, convert it into the stem cell of choice, and grow the desired organ in a mouse (they just grew a human kidney in a mouse) or yourself.

No rejection since its you.

Clonning - the lady is a chemist and a flaky one at that. I wont believe it until there is more than a new conference.

From a moral stand point I have no problems with cloning. I do have a problem with knowing the high incidence of birth defects (many only detectable after birth)you go ahead and clone a human anyway.

This is not science its grandstanding.

Kevin Wilbanks
12-27-2002, 09:03 PM
If my clone had defects, I would definitely demand my money back.

Thalib
12-27-2002, 11:52 PM
Wilbanks-san, what you described is like something straight out of "Outer Limits" or "Twilight Zone". Not saying that it can't be done, it's just that those series scare me sometimes...

Judd
01-03-2003, 10:53 AM
I'm against cloning of individuals, but not against the technology itself. I mean, what if you were in a car crash and had a lung collapsed and doctors could use your lung tissue to clone you a new one? I have no idea if that will ever be possible, but here's hoping.

PeterR
01-03-2003, 11:09 PM
Closer than you think.

As I said earlier they grew a human kidney in a mouse.

For what you are asking for they don't even have to clone as they cultured the kidney cells from an existing kidney.

The only time you would have to clone is if the required cells were completely wiped out or infected (hepatitis and livers come to mind) and stem cells were not available.

The think is you wouldn't have to go past a petri dish, there would be no fetus, no baby.
I'm against cloning of individuals, but not against the technology itself. I mean, what if you were in a car crash and had a lung collapsed and doctors could use your lung tissue to clone you a new one? I have no idea if that will ever be possible, but here's hoping.

Brian H
01-05-2003, 10:41 AM
These guys are a bunch of non-cloning uber-loons.

PeterR
01-05-2003, 07:35 PM
These guys are a bunch of non-cloning uber-loons.
Uber-loon - I love that. :D

I'm inclined to agree about the non-cloning also.

deepsoup
01-06-2003, 06:44 AM
Uber-loon - I love that. :D

I'm inclined to agree about the non-cloning also.
Aww.. C'mon.

Next you'll be saying they're not really in touch with aliens. :)

Sean

x

aikigreg
01-06-2003, 10:06 AM
being able to grow a spare organ - fine. Growing another human - bad juju.

Jim ashby
01-06-2003, 10:44 AM
Took a look at the Raelians website. Strange as a tree full of sheep. I very much doubt if the human clones exist and I will be amazed if they can (or will) provide any form of scientific proof.

As to the ethics of human cloning,I'm against it, unless it is just organs for transplantation.

Have fun.

one4k4
01-07-2003, 02:13 PM
Well, how about doing something similar... just growing the needed parts ad-hoc in a tub of "whatever"-gel? I mean, steak can be grown and excercized (sp), electrically of course. Mmm, electric steak.

Kelly Allen
02-06-2003, 01:03 AM
Peter said:

From a moral stand point I have no problems with cloning. I do have a problem with knowing the high incidence of birth defects (many only detectable after birth)you go ahead and clone a human anyway.

This is not science its grandstanding.

Peter's right! Don't beleive anything these ppl say! They are notorious for coming up with ideas to publicize their cult. This is no different.

:disgust: