PDA

View Full Version : Acupressure/Shiatsu

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

Jeff Tibbetts
12-24-2002, 01:18 AM
This may be the wrong place for this questions, didn't know where else to put it© Sorry

Anyway, one day in class we took a half-hour out of the end of practice to go through some simple acupressure ¥sp©?¤ and shiatsu massage techniques© It was nice, as we got to bring along a friend/spouse/whatever with us to practice on and whatnot© Well, my wife has pretty bad headaches and she really thought that some of the things we were doing could help, but you don't learn a whole lot in a half-hour© I was looking for a book I could get her ¥for me to read¤ for christmas, and I can't find a good one© The only ones I found, a total of about two, were both dated and the illustrations were horrible, text corny© I think that the concept is very interesting, and I think a good book that explains things, how to do them, their history, etc© and isn't too cheesy would be a great help to any Aikidoka© Any ideas on ones you've read? I've looked on the internet, of course, but I trust most of you people more than the online reviewers© Oh, and I'm looking for Japanese stuff, as I'd like to learn the Japanese names for the points ¥tsubo?¤ and Japanese techniques, etc© Any help would be much appreciated©

Also, what do you all think of the concept of being a healer as well as a gentle warrior? I think a lot of the concepts of Ki are potentially beneficial for Aikido practice, as all things are connected when it comes to the East© Thanks in advance!

joan
12-24-2002, 04:01 AM
Have you looked at Kiatsu by Koichi Tohei Sensei? It was republished this year.

Darrell Aquino
12-24-2002, 05:28 AM
I've studied a little Oriental Medicine and the best thing that I could recommend is for you to find an oriental medicine school and take some classes. Their are good books to read but without a little background in the oriental med arts it could be detrimental to healing. There is a book entitled "The Book of Massage the Complete Step-by-Step Guide To Eastern and Western Techniques" by Lucinda Lidell with Sara Thomas, Carola Beresford Cooke and Anthony Porter. Published by Simon and Schuster.

Jeff Tibbetts
12-25-2002, 03:01 AM
There is a book entitled "The Book of Massage the Complete Step-by-Step Guide To Eastern and Western Techniques" by Lucinda Lidell with Sara Thomas, Carola Beresford Cooke and Anthony Porter© Published by Simon and Schuster©
Yeah, I saw this one but it seemed far more vague about everything© I just flipped through it though, I might go back and look through it some more© Thanks for the advice©

SeiserL
12-25-2002, 08:51 PM
IMHO, a great place to start is the public library. You'd be surprised how much they have on accupressure, and its free. Read all you can. Used book stores are a great resource too. Personally, one of my favorites is Zen Shiatsu by Masunaga and Ohashi.

Until again,

Lynn

Bruce Baker
12-27-2002, 11:55 AM
I know there are any number of books on the subject, but did you know there is a three dimensional chart on CD for pressure point study?

I don't know how widespread it is, but it only works on PC not Macintosh. I got one from Mark Kline in Piscataway, NJ, one of Dillmans satellite affiliates. There are a number of books such a Mark Tedeshi's two dimensional pressure point and meridian book, or some Chin'na Qigong by Dr. Jwing-Ming Yang has a good series, and if you can get through the holistice approach to see the application, Chi Nei Tsang by Mantak and Maneewan Chia.

No, I did not make up those last two names. Some of what they talk about is the holistic approach to healing with chi/ ki, but then there will be no single source that gives you everything you will need to use ki, or pressure massage to heal and endorse your body to function to heal itself.

Western medicine is finding a whole lot of sense in many of the Eastern ways of medicine, but then Easter ways are finding many uses for the Western way of medicine too. I am a first hand believer in finding the balance of the two to allow the body to heal itself.

Obviously, the best advice to find a teacher, even with your extracurricular studys.