PDA

View Full Version : Tenshinkai Aikido

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

Talon
12-11-2002, 02:38 PM
Hi guys.

I am fairly new to Aikido I have only been training for a few months (8 to be exact). Anyway, I wanted to know what the differences were between Tenshinkai Aikido verus other styles. Is Tenshinkai considered a soft style, mid or hard? along with other differences ..etc?

Thanks in advance!

Paul

SeiserL
12-12-2002, 08:38 AM
Tenshinkai is the name given by O'Sensei himself to the fluid and powerful style of Aikido out of Vietnam. He personally entrsuted that style to Sensei Dang Thong Phong who currently teaches in Westminster, CA USA. Visit the website, www.Tenshinkai.com.

IMHO, the style is a mix of soft and fluid and hard. It is an Aikikai style so the technical proficiency is very important. The motions are relexed and fluid, but the throws and locks are very hard.

Phong Sensei has a 6th dan in Aikikai, a 6th dan in Tae Kwon Do, a 5th dan in Judo, and am 8th dan in Vietnames Shaolin Kung Fu. If you get a look at the demonstrations from the Aiki Expo, Phong Sensei was the first one on Saturday night.

Until again,

Lynn

Talon
12-12-2002, 08:59 AM
Thanks for the reply and information about this style. I will check out the link...

thanks again,

Paul