PDA

View Full Version : It's a training kata

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

Paula Lydon
12-07-2002, 09:21 PM
:circle: When we train, it seems, we focus mainly on nage who is practicing a particular technique. Of course we explain that uke is there to learn equally and give a sincere initiation of movement. What I think is often missed is that dojo practice, for the most part, is kata and while we point out to nage what they're trying to achieve we fail to make clear to uke their full role.
:square: We are trying to sense and move with the energy of the moment, so if uke gives me an initialtion that moves us more appropriately into a different technique I'll do that one instead of the demonstrated one. To me, this is as important a practice. If it continues then I attempt to show by my own ukemi that a particular beginning is needed to realistically practice a particular ending: the technique that's been demonstrated.
:triangle: How is this in your dojo? Is it pointed out and practiced as such, or do people wrestle with either a poor energy initiation by uke or an inappropriate beginning to a particular technique?
Take care all, :D

pointy
12-08-2002, 01:20 AM
i feel the same way as you. it seems to me that if the technique im "supposed" to be doing isnt what feels natural at a given moment, it's not in good practice to go for it. it's better to go with whatever the situation is flowing into.

on the other hand, when sensei sees me doing that he always says im either not controlling the attack properly or im not keeping the correct ma'ai.

go figure :)

gi_grrl
12-12-2002, 03:52 AM
It all depends on the rank and ability of the nage and uke.

If two beginners are training and uke blocks the technique without being able to help nage learn how to do it correctly, I ask uke to relax and allow nage to try different movements.

If two first kyus are training, I may ask uke to be difficult or do counter-techniques when they can, forcing nage to apply center and do the technique correctly.

If a beginner nage is training with a higher grade, I may ask uke to exaggerate their movement for nage, so that nage can feel how theuke should be moving as the technique is done.

The nage / uke have to work in harmony so that both are learning to the best of their ability. It should work as a partnership.

Sometimes, developing such a partnership can be difficult...but when I'm training (as uke or nage) I remind myself that the dojo doesn't revolve around me. I'm merely learning with the people around me. We learn together.

happysod
12-12-2002, 04:36 AM
We have three distinct ways of being uke. Basic is where the uke is just being "on the train" and is there mainly to enable the nage to develop his/her technique while preventing damage to themselves. Stubborn (the most painful for uke) is where the uke can use strength and inflexibility (and non-committed attacks) to stretch the nages appreciation of the thechnique and its pitfalls. Awkward is where you're as soft as possible to blend with the technique, walk away from it, take it over (I wish) or otherwise disturb the nage's concentration. Awkwardness combined with stubborness is a complete sod..

Jason Tonks
12-12-2002, 08:16 AM
Hello there Paula. I absolutely agree with you here. We should always try and practice the technique in question our Sensei has asked us to work on. However like you say, things don't always lead that way. A cardinal rule I go by is NEVER stop mid technique if it is not working, turn it into something else. To stop midway in a technique is the incorrect mindset to be practising with. Fiona hit the nail on the head, it all depends on the ability of the Aikidoka practising. You have to develop the ability to be able to adapt to countless situations as well as many training partners.

All the best

Jason T

akiy
12-12-2002, 08:45 AM
Hi Paula,

I don't think I've ever had my teacher chastize me for changing the technique to something "appropriate" during his classes, even if I'm working directly in front of him. In fact, he's even said, "Never do the same technique twice when it's your turn to be nage. Change it when you can. Change it when you need."

As far as jiyuwaza goes, I've been playing around with it often during the noon class. I find it's both liberating (to be able to do whatever technique I want) and difficult (to not predetermine before what goes on to choose a technique beforehand). I believe such is necessary, though, in aikido training...

-- Jun