PDA

View Full Version : dogi choices

Please visit our sponsor:

Fred L
12-05-2002, 04:49 AM
Could anyone recommend a specific brand of dogi for me? Specifically, I am interested in one which doesn't have a huge waist relative to the pants length. I only wear a size 4, but the waist is so large that it seems to be sized for a much larger person. I'm willing to pay for a better quality gi if that's what it takes.

Thank you.

-Fred

aikigreg
12-05-2002, 08:38 AM
Bu-jin design. They'll custome fit, if necessary, and the quality is first rate. I couldn't be more happier and wish I'd bought one years and years ago.

akiy
12-05-2002, 09:28 AM
Hi Fred,

I usually wear a size 3 or 4 dogi. Although I probably fit into the "slender" or "average" size category, I can't say that they've ever seemed to be extraordinarily large at my waist or anything.

How well does a size 3 dogi jacket fit you? I usually get the jacket and pants separately as they don't wear out in the same fashion (since I wear a hakama and the pants tend to be OK for a while longer)...

-- Jun

diesel
12-05-2002, 09:42 AM
Bu-jin design. They'll custome fit, if necessary, and the quality is first rate. I couldn't be more happier and wish I'd bought one years and years ago.
Bujin gi's are nice... but expensive. Search the web.. I have 2 toraki gi's I ordered on the web. Around $65 with shipping, very nice heavy judo gi, the pants are really nice, the knee's are very padded. I hear mizuno gi's are really nice but expensive. I guess it depends on how much $$$ you want to spend. If I spent $180 on a gi, I would feel bad tearing it or getting it bloody. I don't feel so bad if I only spend $70. That's just me..

www.toraki.com

Eric

MikeE
12-05-2002, 11:11 AM
Hayashi (Tiger Claw) makes a great single weave gi. ($35-$50) And they come in natural unbleached color if you want it.

I like weaved gis over the canvas (Bujin) type. No offense to you Bujin wearers out there.

I just tend to be hard on gis and the weaved ones last a lot longer.

Fred L
12-05-2002, 12:58 PM
Wow! That was quick. My son's Judo sensei just told me that he uses a Toraki and he's built very much like me, so I'll probably go that route.

Thanks for the advice.

-Fred

diesel
12-05-2002, 01:51 PM
Wow! That was quick. My son's Judo sensei just told me that he uses a Toraki and he's built very much like me, so I'll probably go that route.

Thanks for the advice.

-Fred
Toraki also does custom sizing.. Meaning not everyone is proportional as the status quo.. Like I have size 5pants and size 4 jacket as I am a bit tall.. Again.. very nice quality! They also get them to you quickly.. I had mine within a week!

Cheers,

Eric

aikigreg
12-06-2002, 08:06 AM
Hayashi (Tiger Claw) makes a great single weave gi. ($35-$50) And they come in natural unbleached color if you want it.

I like weaved gis over the canvas (Bujin) type. No offense to you Bujin wearers out there.

I just tend to be hard on gis and the weaved ones last a lot longer.
Not at all. I live in a very hot place, and the Bujin dogis have Coolmax linings in them which keeps me dry and comfy no matter how much I sweat. That along with the softness makes it worth every penny. Oh, and not to mention the END of drawstring pants!

I still have a heavy tiger claw dogi as well and it was great and quite inexpensive.

Bottom line is all these brands, and others, and likely quite good - I recommend Bujin because of the custom fitting they will do. If someone else puts you in something comfy, go for it.

Amendes
12-06-2002, 11:05 AM
I always request the century martial arts ones. They are under judo gi.

I keep thossse becuase I find I like them.

MikeE
12-06-2002, 12:01 PM
Greg,

I do get funny looks when I come to Dallas to train in my heavy gis.

I'll have to give you a visit the next time I'm down.

In Aiki,