PDA

View Full Version : 15 Minute Edit/Delete Time

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

akiy
11-25-2002, 11:55 AM
Hi everyone,

Please be reminded that you only have 15 minutes after posting a message to edit or delete it. Please be sure to proofread and doublecheck what you have written before submitting your post as I will not have the time to edit/delete your posts for you.

Thanks,

-- Jun

chadsieger
11-26-2002, 03:40 PM
Thanks anyway Jun. Being the webmaster, I didn't think that it would be that much effort. Of course, I don't walk in your shoes!

I only sent you a rewrite due to the seriousness of the thread, and the complete abandon from which I wrote. Also, there is still an option should it be over the 15 min, I just thought I'd exercise it.

Sieger

akiy
11-26-2002, 03:59 PM
It's not that effort, one by one, of course, but such effort adds up. In any case, I'd rather not set a whole heck of a lot of precedent for being people's personal editors when said responsibility can be taken by the individual authors here.

-- Jun

chadsieger
11-26-2002, 05:20 PM
I'm sorry if I offended you. I did not ask for an editor, I simply asked for you to subsititute a "Rewrite" for my previous post.

Seeing how that now appears impossible, it will not occur again. Thanks anyway.

Happy Tidings,

Sieger

niall
07-21-2010, 04:23 AM
Hi Jun - can I ask the logic for this? I just noticed a typo in a post I wrote fast earlier today and it's not worth bothering you with but I still would rather it wasn't there. If there is a reason for a time limit could we maybe get a day instead of 15 minutes? Thanks.

gregstec
07-21-2010, 06:55 AM
Hi Jun - can I ask the logic for this? I just noticed a typo in a post I wrote fast earlier today and it's not worth bothering you with but I still would rather it wasn't there. If there is a reason for a time limit could we maybe get a day instead of 15 minutes? Thanks.

Ditto to what Niall said - typos are extremely easy to make and sometimes hard to catch during the first review, etc. Failing eyesight, fat fingers, and a less than perfect spellchecker just adds up to a lot of typos :)

Anyway, more edit time would go a long way in making us all look a little better from a grammatical perspective.

Greg

mickeygelum
07-21-2010, 06:59 AM
Greetings All,

I think that 15 minutes is ample time...it also keeps people honest.

For what it is worth, what do you expect for free?

I am of the opinion that if you ask for benefits, that you should at least be a contributing member and truly support Aikiweb.

Train well,

Mickey

Keith Larman
07-21-2010, 07:15 AM
Thanks, Jun.

WRT to typos I really don't see the big deal. If you notice a typo after the editing window has closed, just post an errata in a follow up post.

Janet Rosen
07-21-2010, 09:16 AM
I'm w/ Mickey and Keith - I sometimes accidentally hit "post" before I'm quite done editing but can catch what needs catching when I double check it as soon as the post pops up at the bottom of the thread. I like that this is a "live" forum and yeah here we are warts and all (a good chance to practice thinking before speaking); if it's a matter of a typo, big deal, if it really changes the meaning, post a clarification.

akiy
07-21-2010, 10:24 AM
Hi Niall,

Mickey, Keith, and Janet have already basically written what I was going to say. In essence, the 15 minute edit/delete window exists to allow people to have a bit of time after they have posted to edit or delete what they wrote. As this forum is quite active, a time period longer than 15 minutes seems too long a time, as other members will have seen your post and may have already responded to it. In fact, there have been instances in which people have edited or deleted their posts after someone has responded, even within the currently allotted 15 minutes.

Typos, I believe, are a fact of life and unavoidable. As such, I am sure that most everyone here finds them understandable and acceptable. As Janet writes, please feel free to post a follow-up should you find you feel the need to clarify a typo.

As an aside, whenever I post, I take a minute or two to review what I wrote to ensure that what will be presented will mirror what I mean. I think it's time well spent, in my thoughts.

Thanks,

-- Jun

Michael Hackett
07-21-2010, 05:21 PM
Measure twice, cut once.

niall
07-21-2010, 09:09 PM
Thanks for that explanation Jun.