PDA

View Full Version : Question on training Ki

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

Ghee Chuan
11-20-2002, 02:13 AM
I have been training in Aikido for about a yr or so. I find the movements and training really easy as they are very natural. However most of these movements need ki to work by focusing on where u want to throw/strike and sensing the attackers ki. Thats where my problem comes in.

I seem to have a problem with ki. I can't seem to call on it or sense it. Sometimes during training i feel that i am dead towards the ki that seems to be generated by everyone.

Does anyone have a solution or a similer problem. I would like to focus on ways to enhance my sensitiviy towards Ki and its uses.

Thanks to eveyone who answers.

Creature_of_the_id
11-20-2002, 02:35 AM
people get distracted from the experience of ki by looking for it. Its like looking at the finger that is pointing at the moon, instead of looking at the moon.

Stop searching for it, relax and enjoy the experience of training. When you give in searching, relax and stop expecting anything then take another look at your training and what is going on within it :)

ian
11-20-2002, 02:46 AM
Yep, I'd agree. Even some very indepth chinese books on chi say that it shouldn't be considered as something mystical to look for, but is really just the full utilisation of your power in an efficient and effective way. I find Chi Gung useful for 'ki development' (especially standing practise - see the book 'The Way of Energy'); it helps develop strength whilst being relaxed.

Ian

Bruce Baker
11-20-2002, 05:33 AM
Extension ... Oblique angles ...and ... stop thinking.

Learning to extend the force that you use across the room, and beyond the immediate area, this is the use of extension.

Find the weakness of your opponent by using the oblique angles that are weak instead of the forward/ rear, left/ right related to compass points of North, South, East, and West.

When working off thes angles adjustments, your power increases, and so is interpreted as strong ki, but it is merely the accentuation of working around the strong points of an opponent.

Stop thinking about using ki.

That is the explanation for having mental images that connect the power of the mind to body which is visually interpreted by people watching, or by your own feeling of operating outside the normal consciousness of forceing movements by thought.

The more I try to explain ki/chi ... the more I find myself referring to it as a form of self hypnotism that connects the body and mind without the conscious mind yelling prompts to affect movement.

For me, it is a kind of meditation with movement from physical practice ... the person trying to attack me is like smoke or fog that I walk through as I am going somewhere past them, or it is the act of being a safety net for a small child learning to walk. I am protecting, but I am guiding the child to avoid obsticles that will hurt them ... until the child is safe and playing with toys.

Oh, well. Words are difficult, when actions are easy.

Start with extension across the room, and not thinking about moving your partner, and see where it leads.

Good luck.

Ghee Chuan
11-20-2002, 04:27 PM
Is there anything i can do on a daily basis to train myself in Ki?

Ketsueki Tenshi
11-20-2002, 11:27 PM
I'd like to start off by saying , Ki is always with you , whether it be strong or silent.If your tense and you begin to practice to Aikido , you wont feel Ki.But if your relaxed , you dont feel it either.Your not concentrating on the use of Ki when your practicing Aikido , and if you do , you wont find it because you -are- trying to find it.

There are alot of ways to develop KI , using it for one is a good way to use it. Preforming Kata is a good way to practice it.

If you really want to find your Ki , goto a gym. Say your ready to bench something easy/hard (considering who you are ), Your usually tensing your muscles and plowing the barbell up and down ;dont. Just Relax like the tell you too in class , and begin your benching , you'll relize its much easier than it would be if you were tensing up , this- in an essence is Ki.

If you dont think your Ki is working in class , your probobly not as relaxed as you need to be . Meditation during class can help this , Just take some time before Aiki to clear your mind and focus on your center.

Ghost Fox
11-21-2002, 06:21 AM
I find working-out to the point of exhaustion and then practicing aikido helps, since you can't rely on the physical body to cheat.

Bruce Baker
11-23-2002, 07:46 AM
Simple test to apply mind over matter ...

Lie down on your back.

Now ... start doing pushups.

Imagine that you are pushing yourself off the ground, extend your arms fully, and then retract them so that your palms are open and your thumbs touch your chest.

Do as many extensions as you can until it starts to hurt, whether it is 500 or 1000, then relax.

The next few days continue to the first days maximun until you are used to that number, then do 100 more the next week, and 100 more the next week .... until you are not using muscle, but you are using your mind to do the extensions.

This is how you train your ki .... your mind connection to life force.

It could also be done with 1000 cuts as you must learn to use technique and mind over muscle to accomplish the high repetitions of practice.

I am sure you can use this application until you no longer need to tire the body to let the mind do the work of muscle. When you learn to use mind force over muscle, then you will have learned the first step to increasing Ki.

chadsieger
11-23-2002, 09:41 AM
That's an interesting drill Bruce, I can surely see how that would make your arms "softer." I'm going to have to try it sometime.:D

However, as those "reverse-pushups" would make your arms softer (more able for ki to transfer on), there are other drills that would do the AND connect them to the hips (source of power). The bokken strikes you mentioned would do just this. A while back there was the topic "When should weapons training begin?" I said early and often, and of course I still stand by this, ki building is only one benefit of bokken/jo work.

Another great drill is to take any ball basket/volley in-between your hands and rotate. Rotate in any way possible, so long as both hands are in contact with the ball and you still have control of the ball itself. Move as slowly as possible, then later as fast as possible. This drill will teach you both circles and softness, two key aspects of ki. If you can add your hips to this equation, you've got practically the whole picture.

Another great drill is to stand in horse stance and allow your hands to move as if you were underwater. They will rise with each breath intake and fall on exhalation. Of course you could easily do the ball exercise in horse's stance too.

Thanks and have fun!

Sieger

chadsieger
11-23-2002, 09:49 AM
BTW, I have recommended a distinct forum for the discussion of KI. However, it seems that it was only the voice of one. If you are interested in this idea as well, let Jun know.:D

Sieger