PDA

View Full Version : Visual documentation / explaination of technique

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

one4k4
10-17-2002, 11:15 AM
Feel free to completly flame me if I'm posting in the wrong forum and/or speaking about a FAQ, but I felt I should ask about this.

I think my potential problem stems from my thinking too much about footwork-handwork, etc. Well, that and my complete lack of physical training.

But, are there any visual representations of the techniques out there? Best I can describe it is like... step by step drawn characters. I vaugly remember seeing something like this before, but I'm not sure. (That's why it's a foggy memory. ;))

Do I make sense?

I guess, sometimes when I think about things or watch a demonstration I find it hard to take what I see, invert it and apply it to what my hands should be doing.

Again, lack of training.

I also thought it'd be fun to look at some pictures on lunch break. ;)

-Tom

Hanna B
10-17-2002, 11:31 AM
Lots of books out there. Ask people in your dojo, so you don't end up with a book of another technical direction than that of your teachers.

Oh, and you sound like a perfectly normal newbie to me. You'll learn how to dissect the technique ou see into portions you know.

Hanna

MattRice
10-17-2002, 01:29 PM
Hi

I'm an ASU guy myself, but one of the best books as far as step by step photographic representations of technique that I have found is Total Aikido by Gozo Shioda (Yoshinkan) Excellent photographs from the most beneficial angles. I don't know what flavour of Aikido you do, and the Yoshinkan stuff is pretty specific as far as how they do techniques, but I think over all it's a good representation of proper form in any style. Dynamic Aikido also by Shioda may be the same, but I've never looked at that one.

Don_Modesto
10-17-2002, 08:13 PM
http://www.coolrain.com/

Aikido In Training. Excellent. Videos, too.

http://www.aikidojournal.com/new/

The Saito and Nishio series. Excellent.