View Full Version : I wanna take boxing

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

10-09-2002, 07:09 PM
I know I know this is a Aikido fourm. I of all people should know that right? but since I have no dojo, and i am working out having all this energy I dont feel like sitting if front of the computer all day. :( So, I decided that I would like to try boxing, I am reading the Power of One :) and really have a fasination with hitting people :/ so, I dont wanna get in trouble and stuff and it must be legal, boxing matches both of these criterias. Before you say join a Karate dojo or whatnot, I dont wanna do Karate I want boxing, so any tips on finding a place. I am doing some looking on the net, but any help here would be appreaceaited. thanks!

With love

Dallas Adolphsen

10-09-2002, 08:53 PM
You know what happen after you have tried boxing?, and you know how to breath, fight relaxed, dominate maai, sparr, be awake, develop that sleeping reflexes, know the combinations, how to move in and away from your opponent?

Next day day go to your Aikido class and this is what you do: hold your head with one hand and do the technniques with the other one.

10-09-2002, 09:08 PM
well first off I have not tried boxing second off i have no dojo for aikido at the moment so... i read some stuff about boxing has alot of similarities ( except philosophy), and decided that is what I wanna do till I get back to doing breakfalls! have fun!

10-09-2002, 09:19 PM
Ah, and forget about learning boxing to hit people, grow up! just feeling how your mind- body is a perfect machine will free you up.

10-09-2002, 09:24 PM
um... okay can I ask you a question? how can I find a club for boxing?? thats all I ask. yeah I wanna hit people its fun if done right and, well, legal, and I have nothing better to do.. I could go down the LA and train with Payet there to get my nidan but LA is kinda far frim here. Boxing and AIkido are really similiar and i feel I need to learn how to take a beat, i mean Aikido i learn to fall but not to take punches. and yes I know in aikido we would enter and pivot or whatnot to not get hit, but danm some people are really fast.. and Im slow :) yes I need more training, and I do train but not in a dojo right now..

anyways thank you Pretoriano!

10-10-2002, 04:32 AM
Have you watched Billy Elliot Dallas? Maybe you want to try ballet dancing too... :P

10-10-2002, 05:14 AM
Post a question at The Boxing Q&A at the Underground (http://mma.tv/TUF/index.cfm?FID=15) They will definately hook you up.

Then check with USA Boxing (http://www.usaboxing.org/) to make sure your gym/coaches are licensed.

Before you start, get good equipment. I'd recommend the WIPSS mouthguard (http://www.wipss.com/). Hold off on gloves until you're serious about this.

Expect to sweat. Expect a lot of the initial workouts to focus on conditioning as much as technique. You probably won't spare for several months, but when you do, your gym will take care of you. You will get hit, you will be uncomfortable and afraid, but you won't be fed to the lions.

10-10-2002, 06:59 AM
Well, before you get to the "hitting people" part, there's a little preliminary work you need to get through.

1. Run at least 5 miles each morning

2. Thousands of sit-ups

3. Thousands of pushups

3. Hundreds of hours skipping rope

4. Hundreds of hours on the heavy bag

5. Hundreds of hours on the light bag

6. Hundreds of hours bobbing the line (you’ll find out)

7. Hours on end of instruction and shadow boxing

8. Completely revamp your diet.

Now, after all this if you plan on actually stepping into the ring, understand that;

1. Your nose will probably be broken in the first couple encounters.

2. You will receive cuts around your eyes that will bleed profusely. (head cuts usually do) but don't worry about this because,

3. The body shots that have you pissing blood will take your mind off the cuts on your head.

4. Also, you'll have plenty of time to contemplate all this while your hands are in ice buckets trying to get the swelling down to the point where you can close them again.

5. Stock up on the aspirin as you're going to have some humdinger headaches and body pains.

Oh…… and remember your there to have fun!

10-10-2002, 09:37 AM
IMHO, boxing is geat exercise and you can't beat the hands. Check with any of the local YMCA's or Boy's Clubs. A lot of gyms have boxing and recreation departments. The Police Athletic League usually has something for kids, but they may know. Check the yellow pages or ask at sporting good stores.

I did a lot of boxing when I studied JKD. Still jump rope, speed bag, heavy bag, shadow box, and yes bob and weave on the string. Love the focus mits.

IMHO, train boxing as a separate art, don't try to bridge it to Aikido too soon. It will do that all by itself.

Until again,

10-11-2002, 07:26 AM
here's a better link to boxing gyms in california (http://www.boxinggyms.com/addresses/california.htm)