PDA

View Full Version : Kata-Dori Ude Osae Ura (Ikajo)

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

J.T. Hamilton
03-20-2018, 04:09 PM
Hi there; I'm looking for a video of the Kata-Dori Ude Osae Ura (Ikajo) technique. I tried looking it up, but couldn't find the exact technique, just techniques that were similar-sounding. Can anyone here show me a video demonstration of this technique specifically? :confused:

Thank you for your time.

MRoh
03-21-2018, 03:44 AM
Hi there; I'm looking for a video of the Kata-Dori Ude Osae Ura (Ikajo) technique.

Do you mean Ikkyo ura waza?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNFQJFr-XZY

second technique.

RickMatz
03-21-2018, 10:55 AM
See aiki.info (http://aiki.info)

J.T. Hamilton
03-21-2018, 11:25 AM
Nope; doesn't look like anything I've been seeing yet. I'm kind of assuming that it's a Jo-Staff Kata of sorts, because of the words "Kata" and "Ikajo."

J.T. Hamilton
03-21-2018, 12:03 PM
I've only been training three times a week since February 19th, so I'm pretty new to everything; I'm not even quite sure yet what specific style of Aikido I'm learning lol.

jamesf
03-21-2018, 02:22 PM
"Kata" has several homonyms in Japanese but "katadori", in Aikido context, means "shoulder grab/seize". The word "Ikkajo" is originally from Daito-ryu and just means "first list", however Yoshinkan-style Aikido uses the word in place of what most other styles call "ikkyo" (meaning "first teaching"). "Ude osae" means "arm-pin", and, IIRC, it is what Tomiki (Shodokan)-style Aikido prefers to call ikkajo/ikkyo. "Ura" means "rearward" with an implied meaning of "hidden". All put together, assuming you have your terminology straight, that means you are looking ikkajo/ikkyo performed with an ura (tenkan to your own rear) movement, rather than an entering (irimi/omote) movement, with uke initiating with a shoulder grab.

Now, if you are looking for techniques involving pins using a jo, go to Youtube and search for "aikido jonage" or "aikido jodori". Once you find which one you're looking for, share the link and let us know which one it was, and maybe we can be a bit more helpful on what it might actually be called (hopefully it will be something other than "kokyunage", which is a vague label given to several vaguely-related, otherwise-unnamed techniques).

J.T. Hamilton
03-21-2018, 05:14 PM
@James: Thank you very much! I was unaware of that; but it makes more sense now because that's a lot of what I was finding when I typed it into google. Sounds kind of familiar too. Thinking I was totally mistaken on what I thought it was lol. XD

Thanks again with the terminology help! :)

J.T. Hamilton
03-21-2018, 05:16 PM
I'll just ask my Sensei about it tomorrow; it's one of the techniques necessary for passing the 6th Kyu Test; few others too; Shikko and Ukemi are at the top of the list; getting better at those.

Currawong
03-21-2018, 09:41 PM
This might help. It is a series of videos showing the basic Yoshinkan-style techniques done by the offshoot Renshinkai group:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLA5C15C822A2C09B6