PDA

View Full Version : Greetings!

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

vonryan
03-15-2018, 08:29 AM
I was great to discover the AikiWeb forum a few years ago shortly after beginning my Aiki journey, I've read with great interest many an article by notables within the Aiki world that have been inspiring and insightful.

....I suspect that the AikiWeb platform employs some very sophisticated AI functionality that "detects" when an account registrant has reached some minimum level of understanding before their account can be activated.... to my great surprise I received notification yesterday.

Thank you AikiWeb :D

Regards and Respect,

Von Ryan

JJF
03-17-2018, 03:09 PM
Welcome. I just think Jun only has time to update the web page and confirm new members once or twice a week ;)

Peter Goldsbury
03-17-2018, 06:59 PM
Hello. Welcome to AikiWeb.

I suspect that AikiWeb is like other web forums such as E-Budo. The 'sophisticated AI functionality' there is not particularly A, since the administrator is the one who manually checks IP addresses and user names and then decides whether to accept or reject. We made these changes to avoid spammers.

Incidentally, I practice aikido, but have very fond memories of a Tomiki club in Brighton (UK), which I used to frequent when I was a student. It was run by a man named Wells, but we all called him Tolly. My teachers were Aikikai and were Japanese, but training there was sometimes a welcome change. Later, after I came to live here, I learned much more about the history of aikido and studied Kenji Tomiki's interesting life and activities. I knew two of his direct students: one named Shigenobu Okumura, in the Aikikai, and another named Fumiaki Shishida, in the Tomiki organization in Japan.

Do you have any contact with any Aikikai dojos in Dublin?

Best wishes,

Peter Goldsbury

akiy
03-19-2018, 04:29 PM
Hi Von,

Welcome to AikiWeb! Sorry for the delay in processing your registration.

-- Jun

vonryan
09-19-2018, 08:53 AM

I suspect that AikiWeb is like other web forums such as E-Budo. The 'sophisticated AI functionality' there is not particularly A, since the administrator is the one who manually checks IP addresses and user names and then decides whether to accept or reject. We made these changes to avoid spammers.

Incidentally, I practice aikido, but have very fond memories of a Tomiki club in Brighton (UK), which I used to frequent when I was a student. It was run by a man named Wells, but we all called him Tolly. My teachers were Aikikai and were Japanese, but training there was sometimes a welcome change. Later, after I came to live here, I learned much more about the history of aikido and studied Kenji Tomiki's interesting life and activities. I knew two of his direct students: one named Shigenobu Okumura, in the Aikikai, and another named Fumiaki Shishida, in the Tomiki organization in Japan.

Best wishes,

Peter Goldsbury
Hi Peter,

Thanks for the message.

I started my journey briefly within an Aikikai school (which moved). Although now a "Tomiki" man and I do go off reservation every so often to the Dublin Aikikai to maintain contact with that community and widen my Aiki vocabulary.

I have listened to many of your online interviews and read a number of your very insightful articles. I think that you would be a very interesting person to chat to even briefly. I would be interested privately in your analysis of Nariyama Tetsuro as well as of Fumiaki Shishida from an Aikido development perspective (both of whom are at loggerheads as shihan / president of their own association.)

What was your impression of the Tomiki way at the time? ..what is it now?

Jeremiah

vonryan
09-19-2018, 08:56 AM

Best wishes,

Peter Goldsbury
Hi Peter,

Thanks for the message.

I started my journey briefly within an Aikikai school (which moved). Although now a "Tomiki" man and I do go off reservation every so often to the Dublin Aikikai to maintain contact with that community and widen my Aiki vocabulary.

I have listened to many of your online interviews and read a number of your very insightful articles. I think that you would be a very interesting person to chat to even briefly. I would be interested privately in your analysis of Nariyama Tetsuro as well as of Fumiaki Shishida from an Aikido development perspective (both of whom are at loggerheads as shihan / president of their own association.)

What was your impression of the Tomiki way at the time? ..have you had any recent contact ....has it changed in any way?

Jeremiah

dps
09-19-2018, 09:42 AM
I was great to discover the AikiWeb forum a few years ago shortly after beginning my Aiki journey, I've read with great interest many an article by notables within the Aiki world that have been inspiring and insightful.

....I suspect that the AikiWeb platform employs some very sophisticated AI functionality that "detects" when an account registrant has reached some minimum level of understanding before their account can be activated.... to my great surprise I received notification yesterday.

Thank you AikiWeb :D

Regards and Respect,

Von Ryan

Welcome.

I started in Aikikai and and later trained in Tomiki style. Since my Aikikai training was much longer than the Tomiki I would often slip into the Aikikai style of the technique. Totally confused uke. :)

dps