PDA

View Full Version : Sexual Harassment Policies for an Aikido Organization

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

AikiPaul
12-19-2017, 05:32 PM
I'm trying to put together a policy on addressing sexual harassment for an aikido organization. This is of course timely with the new and much needed spotlight resulting from the Weinstein and other public figure scandals but unfortunately is also something that has occurred in the past in aikido and other martial arts.

If you know of an aikido organization or dojo that has a written policy and is willing to share it, please post or contact me. No trolls please.

Domo arigato!

SeiserL
12-21-2017, 02:46 PM
While I don't know of a specific policy about sexual harassment, many organizations have a code of conduct/ethics that can easily be interpreted to include it ...
Of course, if we have to tell our teachers that sexual harassment (or harassment of any kind) is inappropriate then we have already missed the boat ...

lbb
12-22-2017, 09:00 AM
Birankai has a harassment code that includes sexual harassment. I don't know where to find it online, but if you can't hunt it down, I'll take a picture of the printed copy in the dojo.

Matt Fisher
12-22-2017, 10:02 PM
Aikido Schools of Ueshiba has references to sexual harassment within the organization's Code of Ethics. You can find the text online at:
http://asu.org/about/code-of-ethics/

Matt

DarkShodan
01-02-2018, 01:40 PM
I have had a policy for over 4 years now. I go over it every January with my students. I borrowed a lot of wording from my military days. BLUF: zero tolerance!

Shuurin Philosophy:

We at Shuurin agree and abide by the Code of Conduct and Ethics Charter presented by the Aikikai Foundation, Hombu Dojo Japan.

Discrimination and harassment - Physical contact between students who are training must be appropriate to the situation and necessary for the skill development of those students. Sexual harassment, defined as being where a person is subjected to unwanted or uninvited sexual behavior, will not be tolerated. Any form of discrimination based on sex, ethnic origin, language, color, or other form of differentiation will not be tolerated

AikiPaul
01-15-2018, 05:27 PM
Thanks all for the input. It has been very helpful as I develop a stament and policy for my dojo and larger organization. Domo arigato goziamashita!