PDA

View Full Version : Gi has faint mold spots, please advise


Please visit our sponsor:
 

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!


Dothemo
10-16-2017, 01:29 AM
Hi Aikiweb,

I purchased a gi quite a while ago online from America, it was an extra big size (a size I couldn't get in Australia) and then once it arrived I had it tailored, limbs and length shortened. It swims on me and is like a sumo kimono but better loose than tight! So the postage cost more than the gi but then the modification bumped the total cost up. I'll get to the point now!

So I noticed some faint black mold spots around the upper back (where I sweat). I can't afford to throw it out so I was wondering, has this happened to anyone else and what is the best way to eliminate the mold? Someone said bleach but I wanted to get opinions first as I didn't want to destroy it. I have learnt my lesson and hang it on the line after training to dry and don't leave it wet in a gym bag. Thanks in advance.

lbb
10-16-2017, 09:23 AM
Hot water, first and foremost. If that doesn't do it, in order of severity, I would say vinegar, then borax, then bleach. See http://moldpedia.com/remove-mold-mildew-clothes-fabric

Janet Rosen
10-18-2017, 02:38 PM
Chlorine bleach, which is fairly toxic, and in strong concentration for prolonged soaking will literally eat away the cotton, should be the ticket. Oh, Mary has a whole regimen....ok then....

jurasketu
10-18-2017, 07:43 PM
Sunlight is particularly effective at killing mold and mildew (including the spores). The UV and heat kills the mold and mildew. I let my gis bask in the sunlight on a regular basis.And I always hang the gi up after practice to make sure it dries out.

Of course UV, heat, bleach, peroxides and just ordinary cleaning damage fabrics over time. Some fabrics/weaves are more resilient than others, but they all wear out eventually.

ahincelin
10-19-2017, 03:23 AM
My two cents :
Drops of white vinager on the spots on the occasion of the next whash.

Dothemo
10-19-2017, 09:00 AM
Thanks heaps everyone! I soaked it in borax, used some vinegar, washed it twice and hung it in the hot sun for a day. The mold is definitely dead but the marks are still slightly visible on the inside. As long as the mold is actually dead it doesn't worry me.

The gi actually hasn't smelt or felt so nice and crisp! The borax and vinegar really made it nice.

PeteDiscenza
10-21-2017, 06:20 PM
Glad to hear that it's resolved. If anyone asks about the faint spots, just tell them it was blood--someone else's!