PDA

View Full Version : Digestion before class

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

Dothemo
09-29-2017, 10:45 AM
Hi Aikiweb,

I have a question regarding digestion before class. I suppose I am trying to put this in a rather mild way but I have noticed that if one is a bit "gassy" (even if you didn't realise beforehand) before class, ukemi will sometimes bring it out in loud and embarrassing fashion!

Has anyone discovered the best way to avoid this? For example, how much time should you leave between eating and class? Is it prudent to avoid particular foods?

I have noticed in my class anyway that when it occurs on the uncommon occasion to myself or fellow students - that everyone is polite enough to act like nothing has occurred and to pay it no mind.

Thank you for your thoughts on this!

GMaroda
09-29-2017, 12:15 PM
I do one of the following depending on my mood:

1) Pretend it didn't happen.
2) Laugh
3) Tell everyone to beware my mighty ki!

If it's only occasionally, who cares? But if it bothers you, you can try to eliminate gas producing foods. Unfortunately, lots of things can produce excessive gas, not just the usual beans/cabbage/whatever. Plus a lot of it depends on your body. At worse you might need to try an elimination diet to find out what affects you.

Also, there are over the counter medications that can reduce gas. Not sure what name brands are available in Australia.

All things considered, if it's just once in awhile it's the price of being human. Don't worry about it. We all do it. You're doing physical activity, not partaking in a State dinner with the king of WeHateFlatulanceLand.

sorokod
09-29-2017, 02:09 PM
Martial arts smell of sweat and farts, that's just how things are- get over it.

PuppyDoggie
09-30-2017, 06:57 AM
I've unfortunately done that once when I was taking ukemi for someone's 5th kyu test. Loud and audible. I saw others smile and chuckle, while others (and sensei) just pretended it didn't happen. It's not a big deal unless you make it a big deal.

My digestion will be very different from yours so I cannot suggest which foods to avoid; only you and your stomach would know.

I always avoid eating anything solid for about 2 hours before I come to an aikido session. I do this not necessarily to avoid passing gas during class (it probably does though!), but to avoid feeling the food roll with me as I roll... :S