PDA

View Full Version : A reintroduction

Please visit our sponsor:

Jon Diesch
09-15-2017, 05:21 AM
Hello, or hello again,
My name is Jonathan Diesch. I have been an Aikiweb member since its beginning and an Aikido-l member since its beginning before that too. I haven't posted anything for close to 20 years though. Sorry.

My (thankfully abbreviated) story so far:
I started Aikido training at school, aged 15, in the very dim and distant lands of the 1980's, and since 1992 I have been a student of Minoru Kanetsuka Shihan, 8th dan.

In 2014 I moved, with my partner, to a small farm in rural Wales where I am attempting to find out more about the deep connections perceived by O Sensei between Aikido and farming. About which, more later.

It is my intention to create a small Aikido-focussed community here to enable others similarly to 'learn by doing' but that is a subject for another thread at another time so for now: Hello again! I'm glad to be back. What did I miss?

J.

Janet Rosen
09-16-2017, 05:26 PM
(waving) Hey, you! Some of us are still here :-)

Peter Goldsbury
09-16-2017, 06:50 PM
Hello Mr Diesch,

Those lands are not too dim and distant, for I remember them well.
I first encountered Minoru Kanetsuka in the 1970s at the Chiswick dojo of the late Kazuo Chiba. After a stay in the US, I became a regular member of Ryushinkan, when it was in Albany Street, and divided my time between that dojo and Tempukan in Earls Court. It was in this period that he had his car accident.
After I came to Hiroshima, I have a clear memory of visiting Mr Kanetsuka in hospital in Oxford. I think it was the day before he was due to receive chemotherapy for his cancer. His recovery has been spectacular and is a good model for other cancer sufferers.
I do not as a rule recommend my own writings on aikido, but I wrote a peace a while ago on Morihei Ueshiba and farming. You can find it somewhere in the columns I am writing.

Best wishes,

Jon Diesch
09-17-2017, 07:44 AM
Thank you Peter and thank you Janet!