PDA

View Full Version : Explanation

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

Jessica
09-05-2002, 08:17 PM
Today, my math teacher was asking me about Aikido. So, I gave him a very short explanation and, he asked me how Aikido compared to Karate, I then explained as best as I could (I donít know much about Karate) how the two arts differ. Apparently not getting the point, he asked me how I liked studying Karate. My question is, how could I get the point across better if I am faced with that situation again?
Thanks, Jessica

cbrf4zr2
09-05-2002, 08:23 PM
Jessica -

Here's basically the way I explain it, especially to those that don't understand much about martial arts. (Now I know it's not completely correct, but it generally gets the point across.)

Karate is more or less strength vs strength, and who can punch/kick the hardest or fastest. Where Aikido uses the other persons strenght/weight to your advantage.

In Karate people will punch their way through the door, in Aikido we help the door out of our way by opening it, and moving past it.

guest1234
09-05-2002, 08:27 PM
Or we get out of the way of the door as it swings open, and then walk through...

Jessica
09-05-2002, 08:36 PM
thanks

opherdonchin
09-05-2002, 10:12 PM
I tell people (and I know a lot of people here wouldn't agree with me on this): "AiKiDo is a pacifist martial art. It's a martial art that takes seriously the Buddhist [I don't know if it is Buddhist, but this is what I say] idea that any harm you do to another person is harm that you are doing to yourself, and thus works to find solutions to problems of conflict that don't involve anyone getting hurt."

Bronson
09-06-2002, 01:42 AM
I hit 'em with nikyo or throw them on their head ;)

Bronson

I was kidding by the way.

Guest5678
09-06-2002, 08:15 AM
Ok, punch him in the gut, while he's bent over trying to catch his breath explain to him that was karate.

Then help him to a chair so he can sit and recover, then explain to him that was Aikido.

HA! just kidding....

-Mongo

Jessica
09-10-2002, 07:19 PM
I must say, those last two ideas were interesting, not that I'd use them or anything

Nacho_mx
09-10-2002, 09:25 PM
Iīm not good at charades or show and tell, so I usually invite people who are curious to attend a class and see for themselves.

memyselfandi
09-10-2002, 09:39 PM
If you want a good example for him, demonstrate the difference between the blocking in the two arts. This was how our tai chi teacher expressed the difference between soft and hard arts. (I'm assuming the sidestep and coming around to your opponents side is the standard blocking procedure for both tai chi and Aikido...at least thatís what I think they did in that Aikido class I watched...either way, Iím sure itís different then the standard Karate block with the forearm :) )

...oh, I ramble don't I :D

Jermaine Alley
09-11-2002, 12:29 AM
Jessica,

I think that providing a descent description of what aikido is, is kind of difficult. The idea of inviting your math teacher to a class is a really good one.

Descriptions of aikido depends on what style of school that you come from. Some dojo's stress a more philosophical aspect of aikido while others might concentrate on more of a street effective style per say.

Now, i am not implying that if you concentrate on the philosophical side that you are not street effective, i was just using it as a simple example..cuz those differences do exist now a days.

I tend to tell an interested person about what aikido is made up of. I also like to try to describe the contributing factors that led to its inception.

I don't know how much experience you might have atthe moment Jessica, but trying to read up on the history of aikido and the contributing persons involved will prove to be beneficial in the long run.

But then providing a description really depends on how much time you have..hahaha

so, invite them to class.....

take care.

Jim ashby
09-11-2002, 05:53 AM
I agree, invite them to a class. If they won't/can't come I use the explanation of "human origami".

Have fun.

Steve Bland
09-12-2002, 07:40 AM
I agree, invite them to a class. If they won't/can't come I use the explanation of "human origami".
Human Origami :D

I will have to remember that one!

SeiserL
09-12-2002, 09:38 AM
IMHO, to some people its all karate and trying to explain to people who don't really care about the distinction can be a great exercise in futility. BTW, my grandchildren think I do karate.

Until again,

Lynn

erikmenzel
09-13-2002, 02:07 PM
Well, talking to a math teacher I would explain that karate is within the class of continuous martial arts as where Aikido is within the class of infinitly differentiable martial arts. :confused:

:D :D :D

Kevin Wilbanks
09-13-2002, 02:36 PM
I tell them that we all put on dresses and pray to a crazy, bald guy who was part of a Japanese religious cult...

Actually, I think most of the above responses are too abstract. The math teacher is probably just trying to get a visual. I tell such people that it's a lot of throws and joint locks, or failing that, that it's like Judo only the attack starts from further away.

giriasis
09-14-2002, 04:20 PM
My current roommate thinks "karate" is the generic term for all martial arts, and was very surprised to that fact when I corrected him. I still don't think he is convinced.

I've told people that aikido is more like Judo but not with all the wrestling, and we tend to stay on our feet more.

PhilJ
09-15-2002, 12:41 AM
"Karate" is the "Coke" or "Pepsi" of MA. :) Thank you, Daniel-san.

Among some diatribe I share with someone who's curious, I usually ask them if they want to break boards or do body flips -- OR -- would they rather stay standing, smile, and laugh -- when they're 70 years old. :)

ian
09-15-2002, 05:47 AM
I usually say its a bit like a cross between judo and jujitsu, but you blend with your opponent so force is not used - then they ask what jujitsu is. Explaining aikido is futile, I'm still working out what it is myself!

Ian

Bruce Baker
09-15-2002, 06:08 AM
Math teacher, huh?

Give your teacher the teacher explantion.

Math teacher, science teacher, hisory teacher, music teacher, principal, secretary, janitor are all employed by the school system, aren't they all the same too?

Brian H
09-15-2002, 01:47 PM
I just tell people it is the combat form of Jesus's instruction to turn the other cheek.

(Should go over weel if you are at a public school)