PDA

View Full Version : new member in 98501

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

Lee1974
03-07-2017, 05:48 PM
Hey all,

So I'm a new member here and have recently been thinking about trying Aikido. So I was reading here and was reading about different types of Aikido, so could anyone here please tell me and explain to me the differences of the types of Aikido styles ? I had first heard about it from a friend several years ago and to me it seemed that Aikido was defensive joint lock type of moves. So that's what I'm looking for but am curious if that is mostly what this is or not ? Any help would be a great help. I'm 43 and am not in the best of health , with being a bit overweight and I do have some back and shoulder pains at times but was told that I could still do Aikido and that it would be a great form of exercise and stretching for me and to help with my health, weight and joints. So again, please help me out with any input that you can give me. And does anyone here know anything about the Aikido dojo here in Olympia WA if there happens to be any locals here.

Thank you.

SeiserL
03-08-2017, 07:40 AM
Dojo search indicates that you have a dojo right in town and they have an introductory class 03/18 at 10 AM. I would go and check it out. There is really only one way to find out. Welcome to the mat.

brnlow
03-08-2017, 02:10 PM
Hey all,

And does anyone here know anything about the Aikido dojo here in Olympia WA if there happens to be any locals here.

Thank you.

http://aikidoolympia.net/

I had the pleasure of training there (~6 months) while I worked in the Lacey WA area. GREAT folks! Have nothing but the highest praise for Sensei West and Sensei Niva.

Best regards,
Bill

Dan Rubin
03-08-2017, 02:53 PM
The Olympia dojo Lynn referred to is the only aikido dojo listed on AikiWeb, but it may not be the only one in your area. From that dojo's website I can tell you that it practices a style of aikido that is descended from the style that I first studied. It's a "soft" style that practices the execution of physical techniques with an emphasis on the coordination of one's mind and body. Judging from your post I think that that style would be a good one for you, at least to start in. The chief instructor is a 6th degree black belt, which is a very senior rank, especially in that style.

As Lynn said, the dojo has an introductory class a week from this Saturday (http://aikidoolympia.net/event/introduction-to-aikido-2/), but they probably welcome prospective students to watch a class before stepping on the mat. That will give you a good idea of what aikido is, as well as the general atmosphere of the school. If you choose to watch a class first, I recommend their Basic Aikido and/or General Aikido classes.

jamesf
03-10-2017, 02:03 AM
The next nearest dojo to you would be the newly opened Tacoma Aikikai (http://tacomaaikikai.com), run by Eá Murphy-sensei, 4th Dan. She has Birankai upbringings, but spent two years as an uchi-deshi (live-in student) at Aikido Kyoto under Yoko Okamoto-sensei and Chris Mulligan-sensei. She has some yudansha (black belts) and seasoned junior students training under her already, "borrowed" from other Puget Sound area dojos.

From personal (although admittedly not extensive) experience, I'd say she takes more of a technique-based approach to teaching Aikido, and probably doesn't spend a lot class time devoted to meditation or ki-development sort of exercises. She also enjoys teaching weapons.

fatebass21
04-08-2017, 07:03 AM
Lee, what did you go with?