PDA

View Full Version : anyone involved in research re health benifits of Aikido?

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

tlk52
02-13-2017, 10:01 AM
I'm a long time Aikidoist (5th dan) and also practice Tai chi, after a serious spinal illness a couple of years ago, I rehabilitated myself using tai chi (and physical therapy too...) and developed an interest in this general field. I also recently became certified in one of the medical rehab forms of Tai Chi....

after doing some research I've realized that no one (that I've been able to find) has used Aikido movements in this way, and so, seeing how the doctors that developed the therapeutic short forms for Tai Chi (altering the movements for safety reasons, especially re: turning, knees and ankles etc...) did so, I've crafted a similar system using Aikido movements.

I'd love to talk to any doctors, neurologists of other health professionals about this, especially anyone who might know something about how to get this system tested in studies to verify that it has the same "evidence based" benefits as the Tai Chi based programs etc...

If you know anything about any of this please contact me at rgfh10@hotmail.com or send a private message here

thanks
Toby
NYC

fatebass21
02-17-2017, 08:24 AM
Hi Toby,

I am interested in being involved in this. I will send you an email

Chris

rugwithlegs
02-17-2017, 10:57 AM
I am a nurse and I teach Tai Chi to cancer patients, but I allow my Tai Chi to be corrupted and informed by my Aikido.

The research quality in Tai Chi runs the gamut. The different styles of Tai Chi are so varied that concrete specific claims are not valid across the board. I would be very happy to be a part of this. I assume one way to start a paper would be to comment on the benefits documented on stretching, yoga, meditation, tai chi and kinesiology and then comment that Aikido has similar qualities.

I would also recommend Janet Rosen's work on at risk patients falling and her stuff on knee health.

tlk52
02-17-2017, 12:03 PM
thanks for the interest!!!

Janet Rosen
02-17-2017, 05:41 PM
I am a nurse and I teach Tai Chi to cancer patients, but I allow my Tai Chi to be corrupted and informed by my Aikido.

The research quality in Tai Chi runs the gamut. The different styles of Tai Chi are so varied that concrete specific claims are not valid across the board. I would be very happy to be a part of this. I assume one way to start a paper would be to comment on the benefits documented on stretching, yoga, meditation, tai chi and kinesiology and then comment that Aikido has similar qualities.

I would also recommend Janet Rosen's work on at risk patients falling and her stuff on knee health.

I appreciate the mention, but it sounds like Toby is looking for an institution/group to actually conduct a proper research study that will pass peer-review. Am I reading that correctly, Toby?

tlk52
02-22-2017, 11:41 AM
Janet, i sent you a private message