PDA

View Full Version : Hi!

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

Hundred Eyes
02-05-2017, 12:29 PM
Hi all!

I'm a third year university student in Scotland and started Aikido last week. I've really enjoyed it so far and hope to do so for a very long time! I did Karate for three years when I was at high school in Italy, but haven't practised any martial arts since.

I ordered a book (https://books.google.co.uk/books/about/Best_Aikido.html?id=ch5_Cjnu_pkC&redir_esc=y) on Aikido last night (it was really hard to find for a reasonable price); if you can recommend any other books, websites, etc., let me know.

Other than that, I'm really glad to be here! I hope to learn a lot.

akiy
02-06-2017, 11:58 PM
Hi Alessandro,

Welcome to AikiWeb. I hope you'll feel welcome in joining the discussions here.

-- Jun

fatebass21
02-07-2017, 05:54 AM
Welcome!

Check out Aikido and the Dynamic Sphere

Peter Goldsbury
02-07-2017, 06:29 AM
Hi all!

I'm a third year university student in Scotland and started Aikido last week. I've really enjoyed it so far and hope to do so for a very long time! I did Karate for three years when I was at high school in Italy, but haven't practised any martial arts since.

I ordered a book (https://books.google.co.uk/books/about/Best_Aikido.html?id=ch5_Cjnu_pkC&redir_esc=y) on Aikido last night (it was really hard to find for a reasonable price); if you can recommend any other books, websites, etc., let me know.

Other than that, I'm really glad to be here! I hope to learn a lot.

Hello,

Welcome to AikiWeb.

Are you training in a university dojo aimed at students, or in a regular dojo catering for the general public? I ask because when I started, I also consulted books such as Aikido and the Dynamic Sphere, but benefited much more from regular hands-on sessions with my instructor. These sessions gave me a general framework and context, such that later study with books became more useful.

Best wishes,

GovernorSilver
02-07-2017, 10:09 AM
Welcome!

The dojo I just joined has "Aikido and the Dynamic Sphere" on the "borrower's shelf". The teacher who led class last night said he read that book before starting Aikido and thought he was ahead of the game - his Aikido teacher had to make him unlearn all the wrong stuff he got out of the book. ;)

BTW, it wasn't the book itself that was the problem, it was the tenkan, etc. that he learned out of the book that had to be fixed.