PDA

View Full Version : Budo And Control

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

Peter Boylan
10-25-2016, 12:06 PM
What are we learning when we study budo? Powerful techniques for controlling others and imposing our will on the universe? Or is it more subtle, about learning to control ourselves so we can act freely without being manipulated by the world around us. That's what I look at in the blog post?

http://budobum.blogspot.com/2016/10/budo-and-control.html

What do you think? Is budo about controlling the world around us?

rugwithlegs
10-28-2016, 09:37 AM
Well written as always.

I was working in psychiatry and corrections, and I did start in martial arts to control others. Not why I keep training now, but as good a reason to start as any other - many other disciplines out there for controlling ourselves and keeping healthy. We advertise a specific skill set.

I remember learning to paddle a canoe and being shown all these strokes to control the boat. Then, I was shooting rapids and doing open water during high wind and really not in control of anything. The best to hope for was moving with the wind and water in a very real joining/blending kinda way while always being at the mercy of bigger forces. Budo can feel the same sometimes.

Maybe there is no control in reality. But if I am teaching waza to students, I still tell them control is the goal.

Peter Boylan
11-02-2016, 10:33 AM
Well written as always.

I was working in psychiatry and corrections, and I did start in martial arts to control others. Not why I keep training now, but as good a reason to start as any other - many other disciplines out there for controlling ourselves and keeping healthy. We advertise a specific skill set.

I remember learning to paddle a canoe and being shown all these strokes to control the boat. Then, I was shooting rapids and doing open water during high wind and really not in control of anything. The best to hope for was moving with the wind and water in a very real joining/blending kinda way while always being at the mercy of bigger forces. Budo can feel the same sometimes.

Maybe there is no control in reality. But if I am teaching waza to students, I still tell them control is the goal.

There are lots of goals and reasons for starting budo. Wanting to control the world around you better is not the worst reason for starting. I certainly didn't start out understanding that the only thing I have any real control of is myself. That lesson was hard earned and took a lot longer than I care to admit. Lots of students come in with the goal of controlling the world. I don't start the class by telling them they are wrong and need to reassess their goals. I teach them budo, and they learn the lessons the same way I did, through the training.