PDA

View Full Version : I'm back in the game

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

PeterR
09-28-2016, 10:30 AM
For the last few years in London I have been content to join an existing group which technically and personally suited me quite well. I took a few classes here and there but most noticeably a few Saturdays at the local BJJ club reminded me how different I did things back in the day. So one of the people who joined that class apparently felt the same way and funded a group that had its first session last Monday.

Let's see how it goes - 20 mats makes it nowhere near the size of the Himeji dojo and it will take some time to engineer the group. At least I have a reasonable mix of people including one massive judo guy.

mathewjgano
09-28-2016, 01:10 PM
For the last few years in London I have been content to join an existing group which technically and personally suited me quite well. I took a few classes here and there but most noticeably a few Saturdays at the local BJJ club reminded me how different I did things back in the day. So one of the people who joined that class apparently felt the same way and funded a group that had its first session last Monday.

Let's see how it goes - 20 mats makes it nowhere near the size of the Himeji dojo and it will take some time to engineer the group. At least I have a reasonable mix of people including one massive judo guy.

Very cool, Peter! Glad to hear it! I thoroughly enjoyed my brief time training with you!
Also, and I know you already know this, but my terrible sense of humor requires I say it: it's not the size of the dojo, but how you use it. :p
Cheers!

PeterR
09-28-2016, 01:15 PM
Very cool, Peter! Glad to hear it! I thoroughly enjoyed my brief time training with you!
Also, and I know you already know this, but my terrible sense of humor requires I say it: it's not the size of the dojo, but how you use it. :p
Cheers!

Laughs: But you got to admit it was one big dojo and we used it really well.

mathewjgano
09-29-2016, 07:59 PM
Laughs: But you got to admit it was one big dojo and we used it really well.

Fact! :D

Robert Cowham
10-05-2016, 02:44 PM
Whereabouts in London are you Peter?

PeterR
10-06-2016, 10:17 AM
West End (Shepard's Bush) but the group itself is at East End (Woolich Arsenal).

We had the second session - it really is a small group but I guess you have to start somewhere. In Japan my first group started with about the same number but grew fast enough to two dozen regulars. We need to advertise a bit better.

https://www.facebook.com/woolwichaikidoclub/

PeterR
10-18-2016, 01:32 PM
http://woolwichaikidoclub.com

Rupert Atkinson
01-08-2017, 12:17 AM
Did you come across David Fielding yet? He trains in south London and is an old friend :-)

PeterR
01-08-2017, 05:17 AM
Did you come across David Fielding yet? He trains in south London and is an old friend :-)

I know David - don't train with him much but have on occasion. His dojo is out of the way. Does Facebook friends count.

Since I opened the group we have had a steady stream of visitors that run their own groups - checking us out if you would. In the beginning that made me a bit nervous since it was such a young group but, with one possible exception, it has been very positive. In Himeji I made it a habit of reaching out - and eventually want to do the same here. David is a good one to do that for.