PDA

View Full Version : Passing of Peter Megann

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

AikiWeb System
04-18-2016, 01:29 PM
Posted 2016-04-18 12:27:45 by joe curran

Dear All, I have recently heard that Peter Megann, the ex General Secretary of the British Aikido Federation passed away recently.As the General Secretary of the B.A.F it is fair to say that in this role he played a big part in the running of the B.A.F.
I was not a close friend of Peter however on hearing the news of his demise I felt that another erstwhile
colleague sadly is no longer with the aikido fraternity/I send my condolences to his son Alex,his family and friends.With Respect, Joe Curran.

gnlj
04-18-2016, 09:06 PM
I am very sad to hear this. I started my aikido journey under Peter many, many years ago now.
Very sad indeed.
Guy

Nicholas Eschenbruch
04-19-2016, 03:54 PM
Peter Megann was my first teacher at the Oxford University and City Club at Iffley Road. I clearly remember how his student Richard showed me how to bow in. I guess I was a nerd of sorts, not very physical, but in the environment Peter created I felt safe and encouraged, I felt that in Aikido, it would all depend on my patience and dedication, and not on some form of competitive talent. So my few months of training with him in 1994 really got me hooked. I am very grateful he got me started.

I returned for another year in 1998, and afterwards wrote him a card to say thank you those times when I took dan gradings. I am very sad to hear of his passing, and my thoughts go to Alex and his family.

Peter Goldsbury
04-19-2016, 07:59 PM
Peter Megann was my first teacher at the Oxford University and City Club at Iffley Road. I clearly remember how his student Richard showed me how to bow in. I guess I was a nerd of sorts, not very physical, but in the environment Peter created I felt safe and encouraged, I felt that in Aikido, it would all depend on my patience and dedication, and not on some form of competitive talent. So my few months of training with him in 1994 really got me hooked. I am very grateful he got me started.

I returned for another year in 1998, and afterwards wrote him a card to say thank you those times when I took dan gradings. I am very sad to hear of his passing, and my thoughts go to Alex and his family.

Before I moved to Japan I used to go to Oxford from time to time to take classes there. Of course, I got to know Peter Megann very well. Later, after I moved here I would drive to Oxford on my visits to the UK and it was always a challenge to find the house in Toot Baldon. At that tine Peter's wife Liz was still active and we always had good conversations, which Peter liked very much. I did my Ph.D. in Greek and Peter had learned this difficult language as a hobby and visited the country often. He will be missed.

PAG