PDA

View Full Version : New guy from Central USA.

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

Plainsman
11-30-2015, 02:41 PM
Hello everyone,

I'm a 45 year old family man who just recently became interested in Aikido. Unfortunately I live far, far (3-4 hours) from any place to study.

I found this website while searching for information. I know I will need to find a teacher at some point, but for now I hope to study the art and learn as much as I can, and make some friends. I'm currently reading "Enlightenment Through Aikido", and just finished "Complete Aikido".

I am a 1 hour drive from the nearest dojo of any type, and those 2 are Tae Kwan Do and To Shin Do.

In gassho,
Mark

Sojourner
11-30-2015, 05:34 PM
Hello Mark, welcome to the forum! - There are several good books and resources that can help you with your enquries and you have already found some of them. I became interested in Aikido after reading about O'Sensei and his move from Daito-Ryu Jujitsu through to his creation of Aikido and think that has a lot of application for people today.

In terms of training that is always going to be difficult. Judo, Jujitisu and Hapkido are other systems that have some similar content, so maybe taking some training in an allied group may be a good starting point.

akiy
11-30-2015, 07:33 PM
Hi Mark,

Welcome to AIkiWeb. I hope you feel welcome in joining in with the discussions here.

-- Jun