PDA

View Full Version : Swordsmithing/Blacksmith

Please visit our sponsor:

DavidM
08-27-2002, 12:57 AM
So I'm looking for a job, and tryin' to find an apprenticeship under a swordsmith or a blacksmith, but today it seems that EVERYTHING is done by machines....isn't there anyone who is willing to teach and pass on this AGE OLD tradition?

Bronson
08-27-2002, 01:29 AM
I have two friends who are sword/knife/armor smiths. I believe that they are self taught. I know that doesn't sound good but their work is of incredible quality. If you'd like to pm me your address I can pass it along to them with a note. I can't promise they'll respond but they might. They are usually pretty open to questions from sincere beginners.

Bronson

rachmass
08-27-2002, 06:41 AM
Having been a horseperson for many years of my life, I know that blacksmiths still forge their own shoes for horses, although the base shoe comes ready made (they need to fit it to the horse). Have you tried these folks?

DaveO
08-27-2002, 08:03 AM
I had some farrier friends who moved from Ireland (County Court). Nice people, and played the most interesting game of horseshoes I've ever seen - they started with a race making the shoes 1st.

I love blacksmithing; I've never had the opportunity to do it; but I go to Black Creek all the time to watch - the smells, the sound, the idea - using fire to make metal into useful shapes; what a skill! Magic, in a way.

That it's a hard, sweaty, dirty job only adds to its appeal to me. Dave, I hope you find what you're looking for.

akiy
08-27-2002, 08:49 AM
If you're ever in the Pittsburg (Pennsylvania) area, stop by Aikido Seishinkan (http://www.musubiweb.com/aikido) and talk to David Goldberg there. He's a swordmaker and I've personally seen some of the work he's done -- very creative and well done (in my not-so-trained eyes).

You might also want to try contacting Bob Elder at East Coast Martial Art Supplies (http://www.ecmas.com/). Although I don't think he's involved in making swords himself, he does have a lot of connections in the iaido/kenjutsu world and might be able to help you out.

Hope that helps!

-- Jun