PDA

View Full Version : treating weapons?

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

chris87
11-12-2015, 11:30 AM
Im kinda new to aikido and ive never really treated my weapons before ive got some oil but how do i apply ive read that i apply it with hand then rub with cloth is this correct? It just doesnt sound right to me

lbb
11-12-2015, 11:57 AM
Before you apply anything to your weapons, make sure it's actually needed. Neither you nor your practice partners need a bokken or jo to go flying out of your hands because you put some oil on it. Get someone who knows what they're doing to look at your weapons and give an opinion. I never apply anything to mine, and I have a bokken that I've been using since about 1992.

Michael Douglas
11-13-2015, 12:35 PM
Christian if your wooden weapons are varnished (or equivalent modern coating) just leave 'em be.
If they are bare wood then you can do a little treatment very occasionally, like for a cricket bat... ;)

Cliff Judge
11-13-2015, 01:35 PM
How to maintain your Aikido bokken and jo:

- purchase weapons made of Japanese red oak, Japanese white oak, or Appalachian Hickory
- use them properly
- if they develop splinters or cracks, dispose of them and get new ones.

I enjoy slathering lubricant on my hands and stroking a long hard cylinder as much as the next martial artist, but at some point you realize that exotic hardwoods or expert craftsmanship don't improve your practice much.

kewms
11-13-2015, 03:42 PM
Recommended care for Kingfisher's Appalachian Hickory weapons can be found here:
http://kingfisherwoodworks.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=kf&Category_Code=mnat

Katherine

ninjedi
08-09-2016, 11:09 AM
Every year or so I give my wood weapons a light sanding and rub them down with boiled linseed oil.

Amir Krause
08-30-2016, 12:05 PM
If you'll put oil on a wooden weapon for long enough, and let it sink-in, than, after you get it dried, you should not have any issue with the weapon flying out of your hands.

On other hands, not so sure this maintenance is really required.

Amir

Derek
08-31-2016, 08:43 AM
It really depends on how much you use the weapons. For me the varnished weapons are already slippery. I sand the varnish off and then apply linseed or tong oil with a paper towel and then wipe as much off as I can.

That said, I only do it once. After that if the weapons see constant use the oils from your hands (and the blood of your enemies :) ) should be enough to keep the weapons in good working order. After years of use, you may get some build up on the wood. If the start to stick in your hands, sand them and start over.

Enjoy

Walter Martindale
09-01-2016, 09:43 PM
I'm letting the 6th application of tung oil set on my rifle stock, but it was bare walnut to start with. Does that count as a weapon? ;-)

Lyle Laizure
09-04-2016, 02:46 AM
It depends on the type of wood, type of existing finish, and the type of practice the weapon is being used for.