PDA

View Full Version : Total hip replacement

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

paullhammond
10-26-2015, 08:47 AM
I have had a hip replacement and 69 years young, has anyone who has had this sergery carried on with ukimi, but with care, a dislocation is at the back of my mind.

Michael Hackett
10-26-2015, 09:14 AM
Andy Sato Sensei of the AWA has had hip replacement surgery and you would never know it today watching him on the mat. He still takes ukemi when teaching. YMMV.

Show your doctor a video or two of aikido and get his advice.

lbb
10-26-2015, 09:58 AM
I agree with Michael to show your doctor a video -- otherwise they won't really know what you're trying to do. Every case is different, procedures are different, so are outcomes. My sensei had a total hip replacement three months ago (anterior procedure). Everything has been going well -- he's been very diligent about his rehab, and we have a PT in the dojo who's been on his case -- and he's just started taking ukemi again. He's also moving better than I've seen him move in years.

robin_jet_alt
10-26-2015, 07:03 PM
I once trained with a guy who had had a hip replacement. His movement was a bit restricted, but he managed to take ukemi just fine.

paullhammond
10-27-2015, 07:35 AM
Thanks for the good info, i will let my doctor have a dvd, and will do as he suggests.

Michael Hackett
10-27-2015, 10:23 AM
Good luck and swift recovery!