PDA

View Full Version : Ki breathing: Exhale through mouth ?

Please visit our sponsor:

aikidokanice
10-26-2015, 06:39 AM
In yoga and Qigong, the breathing training is normally through nose (including exhale) and this seems to have some advantages (versus mouth).
In Ki breathing, we inhale with nose but we exhale with mouth. Do you know why?

Janet Rosen
10-26-2015, 02:12 PM
Friom zen tradition
http://global.sotozen-net.or.jp/eng/practice/zazen/howto/

aikidokanice
10-27-2015, 02:46 AM
Not really, that Zazen exhales through mouth just 1 or several times to prepare a normal nose breathing (inhale&exhale).

Michael Hackett
10-27-2015, 09:27 AM
Apparently different schools or styles teach breathing differently. My qigong instructor taught us to exhale through the mouth and a recent class I took relating to zazen taught exhaling through the mouth exclusively. I wonder if there is such a thing as a "right" way........maybe it is similar to aikido technique.

Janet Rosen
10-27-2015, 09:39 AM
Not really, that Zazen exhales through mouth just 1 or several times to prepare a normal nose breathing (inhale&exhale).

The zazen tradition I linked to may not be the same tradition you follow, but it is used, and as described is also what we do in our aikido dojo, where there is no history of sitting zazen. So it's out there as an existing tradition.

nikyu62
10-27-2015, 12:35 PM
Perhaps it comes from the concept of ritual purity.....breathing in the ki of the universe through the nose,; breathing out the impurities of the mind and body through the mouth.

Cromwell
11-15-2015, 03:25 AM
I believe breathing done naturally from the diaphragm is the best. Especially in Jiuwaza.

Konstantin
12-04-2015, 12:41 PM
Exhaling and Inhaling through nose is most balancing and is regarded as more healthy due to cleaning the air, moistening and warming it, also the warm air during exhalation warms the nasal cavities. It is the main method in Qigong and Yoga-Pranayama.

Air passing and touching nervs on top of nasal cavity has an activating effect during inhalation and calming during exhalation. You can regulate in this way by choosing an appropriate combination. It is easier for beginners to regulate the speed and amount of air flowing in/out by using their mouth. Actually this can also be done by coordinating the muscles involved in breathing, by partially closing the glottis or using the soft palate.

Some examples of special cases:
Cooling inhalation through mouth in Yoga-Pranayama
Quick and strong exhalation through mouth to quickly release power