PDA

View Full Version : Slowing down your technique

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

Sojourner
09-15-2015, 08:07 AM
A short piece on some reflections on training Kotegaeshi last night,

https://dontmakemeangrymrmcgee.wordpress.com/2015/09/15/practicing-techniques/

Demetrio Cereijo
09-15-2015, 08:26 AM
Slowing down is great for learning. I think noone is going to disagree with that, however this:

It Is an interesting technique [kotegaeshi] and just for observation it is interesting to note that these techniques are ‘illegal’ in martial arts that are meant for sports with the exception of Tomiki Aikido which is sometimes considered a blend of Judo and Aikido.

is wrong.

barron
09-16-2015, 10:24 AM
I believe what was intended in the quote referring to illegality of this technique was that in sports where there are regulated competitions, bound by rules and regulations of a federation, that there are allowed techniques and others considered dangerous to apply. eg. in olympic wrestling It is probably the word "sport" that creates confusion in that some use it for any physical activity from chess to marathons. :)

PeterR
09-16-2015, 11:16 AM
Slowing down is great for learning. I think noone is going to disagree with that, however this:

is wrong.

Just curious - what do you think is wrong with it?

Demetrio Cereijo
09-16-2015, 05:41 PM
Tomiki (I prefer calling it Shodokan) Aikido is not the exception in allowing wristlocks, kotegaeshi included, in competition.

Regarding Shodokan Aikido being sometimes considered a blend of Judo and Aikido... well, at least he has not said it is not Aikido at all, which is an improvement.