PDA

View Full Version : Still quite confused about Aikido effectiveness

Please visit our sponsor:

erminio
08-26-2002, 05:21 AM
Hi guys!
I have to admit: I keep reading the forums and still I can't understand; every student of Karate, Judo, TKD and so on swears that his choice is the ultimate one about self-defense: conversely, it seems to me that someone of you believe that an Aikido seriously learned and practiced could be effective used in real life, someone other that better think of Aikido like a way to become a better guy, or to achieve agility and coordination. Where does this come from? Maybe Aikido is the most difficult MA to learn, like some people say, so only a few people can really feel himself confortable and trust about using it in real life?

Forgive my English, I hope I've been clear.

Thanks

Erminio

guest1234
08-26-2002, 05:48 AM
Hi Erminio,

The truth is, you will never know unless you try! :)

Just go check out a few Aikido dojos, and let us know what you think.

Listening to other talk about it, without experiencing it yourself, is like trying to decide if you'd like flying (or the one thing better) without actually doing it.

DaveO
08-26-2002, 06:11 AM
Hee hee...and to continue Collen's analogy, don't just try it once or twice, give it a bit of time to grow on you. I was hooked on Aikido the second I walked in the door, but my first flight was rather less spectacular... I believe my most coherent word was "MOMMEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" :D (Nowadays, it's called mechanical turbulence. Back then, it was called Air Pockets. Whatever you call it, when you're 12 and in a c-172 for the first time, those wings are COMING OFF! LOL

Dave

mike lee
08-26-2002, 06:19 AM
Aikido is a great art for those with good intentions. Within a very short period of time you will learn how to subdue and individual without hurting them.

Admittedly, I'm not talking about gangsters or Ultimate Fighting champions -- I'm talking about a drunk friend, a mentally challenged individual who is going into a fit, or a child having a tantrum or just looking to blow off some steam or use up excess energy.

When I see the way parents slap their own children in public, it just makes me cringe.

Some children love to fight. I can sit on the ground with them and fight with them all day long using aikido and no body gets hurt. They laugh, punch, kick, try to sneek up behind me, climb on my back -- and I gently put them down. They love it! No need for hitting and kicking.

After a number of years, it can be more effective in more serious situations. I suggest learning how to be a good fighter first -- then learn aikido. It gives you control. It gives you the ability to turn down the heat or turn on the afterburners!

Bruce Baker
08-26-2002, 07:26 AM
I agree Mike. Learning to discipline with other means, and having the ability to diffuse violent behavior with a twist, and maybe a few choice words, does make it clear to both child, and offending adults that violence is not the way to live.

Children have to be children, but they have to know that there is a greater force that will protect, and guide them to correct behavior.

Aikido is not the end all to learning martial arts, but it is one of the most important tools to connecting the arts to your daily life in a peaceful manner while enhancing other skills.

It is another rythm, different from other martial arts. Give it two or three months before you question what is going on.

SeiserL
08-26-2002, 08:02 AM
IMHO, effectiveness is not in the style you choose. It is within you. Some can make Aikido work because of who they are, but they can usually make any style work. Other's couldn't fight if they had to. If you are "still quite confused", you may need to look at your criteria for being convinced before you are willing to give it an honest go. Most convincing in any art come after the training, not before.

Until again,

Lynn

erminio
08-26-2002, 08:45 AM
Thanks, Lynn.

I always do appreciate and find useful your answers.. I wonder if some events of your live, or some trainings or whatever else (if I'm not too curious) helped you in this sharp seeing of things.

Have a good day

Erminio

Chocolateuke
08-26-2002, 11:22 AM
Can I suggest a book? I dont want this to sound like "Yoshinkan is Best" or anything like that ( which it isn't the "best") Aikido Shugyo by Gozo Shioda is a great book to read for this very question. He talks a lot about the martial aspect of Aikido and why it works. Im sure there are others books out their that touch this topic in a very good manner to.

Happy training and keep trying you will find the answers.