View Full Version : Koshi

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

Peter Boylan
07-14-2015, 09:38 AM
I was watching a number of videos on youtube of various demonstrations for mid-level ranks, and I saw a notable lack of good koshi in the techniques. I'm sort of obsessed with developing good koshi right now, so that prompted me to write this

How do you work to develop koshi? If you don't why, not?

07-15-2015, 06:59 PM
I work with some of the most basic throws out of the gokyo, the really "simple" throws, but trying to do them with any real power (Osoto, Ogoshi, ipponseoi, like that), I work with my ukes (typically while teaching class, traditional methods on teaching, but hiding my own practice in plain sight), trying to actually DO the throws with the most minimal changes in my own posture and balance, etc. Gee... when I get it right, it doesn't feel like I did anything.

So, for me, it's not the feeling of power delivery, though I know it is there, it's the lack of feeling the power delivery. But, the results are obvious when they happen.

07-17-2015, 06:30 PM
I really enjoyed this article. The title led me to expect something quite different and it was a pleasant surprise. My sensei liked it enough to not only share it with the dojo's facebook group but then proceeded to incorporate information and ideas from your article into last night's class.

As usual. Well done and well written. :)

Thank you.