PDA

View Full Version : A Jiu Jitsu Crash Course for Aikido Players

Please visit our sponsor:

Roy Dean
07-08-2015, 11:01 AM
Hey everyone. I just finished editing my latest project, "A Jiu Jitsu Crash Course for Aikido Players (http://selz.co/1CjU23r)."

It's a seminar I did at Kikumatsu Dojo in Chicago, leading a group of curious Aikidoka to understanding basic BJJ concepts and techniques, then combining Aikido techniques with groundwork finishes.

I think you'll find it accessible, informative, and unique. Cheers.

JP3
07-08-2015, 06:03 PM
Huh... last night I just started scratching the surface of some basic judo-jujitsu groundwork principles with my aikido class. They were having some illusions about the confrontation being over once a finishing takedown from th Merritt-Stevens system had taken place.

It sort of took them aback when they saw that I could show the newest member of the dojo how to remove himself from the negative effects os the so-called locking pin if: 1) he felt the way the pin was coming into the locked position; and 2) he understood some of the most basic things about structure and movement n the ground.

I really like it when the class is filled with laughter, and last night everyone was laughing, sometimes frustrateedly (spelling?), but still having a really good time with something that seemed to open up a whole new world.

Personally, I thought it was neat. We'll probably end up having to have a variation on a judo naewaza class once a month or so now. Can you dig it?

Tim Mailloux
07-08-2015, 08:47 PM
Oh I can dig it!.....Personally I think that some basic judo throws along with judo newaza (aka BJJ) should be included in everyone's aikido training.

Huh... last night I just started scratching the surface of some basic judo-jujitsu groundwork principles with my aikido class. They were having some illusions about the confrontation being over once a finishing takedown from th Merritt-Stevens system had taken place.

It sort of took them aback when they saw that I could show the newest member of the dojo how to remove himself from the negative effects os the so-called locking pin if: 1) he felt the way the pin was coming into the locked position; and 2) he understood some of the most basic things about structure and movement n the ground.

I really like it when the class is filled with laughter, and last night everyone was laughing, sometimes frustrateedly (spelling?), but still having a really good time with something that seemed to open up a whole new world.

Personally, I thought it was neat. We'll probably end up having to have a variation on a judo naewaza class once a month or so now. Can you dig it?

NagaBaba
07-09-2015, 02:15 PM
Oh I can dig it!.....Personally I think that some basic judo throws along with judo newaza (aka BJJ) should be included in everyone's aikido training.
And yet, O sensei was yelling at his students trying to use judo techniques during aikido training....

Tim Mailloux
07-09-2015, 03:06 PM
And yet, O sensei was yelling at his students trying to use judo techniques during aikido training....

And Yet, didn't O sensei and all of his most prominent early students all have judo experience?

bkedelen
07-09-2015, 05:10 PM
Valuable stuff Roy. I'll drop in the next time I am in Bend, and if you are in the Denver or Boulder area let me and Ian know. I would love to catch up.

ramenboy
07-10-2015, 10:03 AM
great!

i was right down the street!!!! will have to tell andy to keep us posted on this stuff!!

anyways, nice work, roy.

i try to at the very least address escaping the mount in class once in a while... my sempai would always say 'don't end up on the ground.' but we should at least know what to do if we end up on the ground.

JP3
07-10-2015, 05:09 PM
I have this sneaky feeling that O-Sensei was yelling at his students for doing judo techniques rather than the aikido he was teaching them... specifically because they WERE judoka and he was NOT teaching them a judo variation. If you've taught class, you've probably had to re-direct students into the actual "Thing" being learned rather than them running off down a rabbit trail now and again. It happens, high and low, far and near.

senseicarter
07-10-2015, 08:17 PM
Important work. I've found teaching Grace Jiu Jitsu along side Aikido to be a winning formula. My students love it. Especially when they start training in both arts from the beginning. Hate that I missed you in South Carolina recently. Next time you are in the area, give us a shout. Would love to have you come by my dojo in Lexington, SC.

John Carter
www.cartersacademy.com