PDA

View Full Version : Aikido and Krav Maga

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

Hobbit
06-13-2015, 01:19 PM
Has anyone made a move from Krav Maga or similar self-defense systems? If so, why? What were some of the difficulties you faced in making the move?

Sojourner
06-13-2015, 08:20 PM
Sure have David, I devoted a blog post to this very topic. What I can add though is that the total lack of striking in Aikido if you wish to use it for a self defence situation is something I am struggling with at the moment. On the flip side I commented there and still feel the same about the sheer aggressive nature of Krav Maga. Leading me to give some consideration to potentially going along to a Wing Chun dojo to look at the possibility of how Wing Chun style striking replete with the founder of Wing Chuns attitude towards peaceful resolution along with my Aikido might be worked together if at all.

https://dontmakemeangrymrmcgee.wordpress.com/2015/05/21/from-krav-maga-to-aikido/

ze'ev erlich
06-20-2015, 02:09 PM
Practiced and taught Krav-Maga for 18 years. From my 8th year in Krav-Maga, also practiced aikido. In the past 10 years or so, it is only aikido in my martial arts life.

I think that learning Aikido after (or with) Krav-Maga does not cause any particular difficulties. It is like learning 2 musical instruments. Its possible, but it demands time and also the ability to concentrate separately in each one of them without thinking to much about the other.

Have you found any difficulties?

MRoh
06-21-2015, 10:29 AM
the total lack of striking in Aikido

Are you sure?

JP3
06-22-2015, 07:07 PM
Are you sure?

That's what I was thinking. My own "it's time for real business" aikido is replete with actual strikes, and not just the soft-hand atemi-waza we use in the front end of the junana-han.