PDA

View Full Version : Scariest dojo moment

Please visit our sponsor:

Bronson
08-23-2002, 02:50 AM
So we've had the "funniest aikido moment" thread. So what's your scariest aikido moment? The one where you were actually frightened for your physical safety or even life.

Mine happened just tonight. Which is probably why I'm starting this thread :rolleyes:

Me and two other shodans who have tests coming up soon were practicing tanto-dori. The tanto that had been used for the technique demonstration has a steel blade. The edge isn't sharp in the least but it still has a point. When we broke to go practice the demonstration uke brought the tanto with them. I can't even remember what technique we were doing but it sure hurt when the point of the steel tanto slammed into my sternum. Thank god for back falls ;) Without thinking about it I threw myself back away from the pain. It must not have hit as hard as I thought it did because it didn't break the skin but I really did think that I'd just been stabbed in the chest.

Ok, that's my most scary moment so far. Anybody else?

Bronson

Ben_t_shodan
08-24-2002, 09:24 PM
So we've had the "funniest aikido moment" thread. So what's your scariest aikido moment? The one where you were actually frightened for your physical safety or even life.

Mine happened just tonight. Which is probably why I'm starting this thread :rolleyes:

Me and two other shodans who have tests coming up soon were practicing tanto-dori. The tanto that had been used for the technique demonstration has a steel blade. The edge isn't sharp in the least but it still has a point. When we broke to go practice the demonstration uke brought the tanto with them. I can't even remember what technique we were doing but it sure hurt when the point of the steel tanto slammed into my sternum. Thank god for back falls ;) Without thinking about it I threw myself back away from the pain. It must not have hit as hard as I thought it did because it didn't break the skin but I really did think that I'd just been stabbed in the chest.

Ok, that's my most scary moment so far. Anybody else?

Bronson
I herd about that, in fact Janean Sensei was just talking about that at the coffee shop after class today. We all had a laugh, well when we found you were ok.;) I havenít ever had anything like that (scary), I try to stay away from uke or nage like that. but you cant win them all.

Your uke

Ben

P.s.

Its just a flesh wound!!!!

Anat Amitay
08-26-2002, 06:07 AM
Something I was afraid of happened to a sensei I know in a dojo not his own (when he went in to pass a class for a friend teacher who couldn't make it).

Anyway, here most dojos are open to have people come in and watch, ask questions before or after class etc, as long as they show respect (keeping quiet during class, not touching things of the dojo- swords etc...).

Well, that night a couple of teenage 'punks' came into the dojo. In the beginning they looked for a few mintues, than they started talking between them or asking the nearby aikidoka questions. One of them asked them to keep quiet. They did but soon got bored and started to play around with things- wooden weapons etc. The sensei asked them to stop and please leave the place if they can't behave. They left curseing him and everything around.

The class continued as normal.

Later, as they were getting dressed to go home, one aikidoka came back in to inform the sensei that the group was waiting outside and they brought more friends...

The sensei took one of the swords that was hanging on the wall, went outside, still dressed in his hakama and just stood there in a basic stance.

The group slowly disappeared into the night.

Nothing happened, they never came back, and I'm sure that sensei would never have hurt them with the sword (it was more of a 'I will be happy if you want to test my skills' impression than anything else).

I know I'd be scared in a situation like that.

I hope never to be in one or need my aikido for a real life situation such as this.

kung fu hamster
09-19-2002, 08:41 PM
For me the scariest moments (which seem to hang forever) are when people accidentally collide on the mat full force and are knocked out, even briefly. For that split second you don't know if they broke their neck or spine or head or whatever, and you don't know what to do to help them because you're afraid even to move them.