PDA

View Full Version : YouTube: Mitsuteru Ueshiba at the 45th Iwate University Aikido Demonstration

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

akiy
01-05-2015, 11:46 AM
R83X_Y2Or4M

Here is an Aikido video of Mitsuteru Ueshiba (great-grandson of the founder, Morihei Ueshiba) demonstrating at the 45th Iwate University Aikido Demonstration.

What are your thoughts on the video?

-- Jun

Robert Cowham
01-05-2015, 05:06 PM
Posture, relaxation, control of uke, clean techniques and ukes weren't just diving - I'm impressed!

kfa4303
01-06-2015, 11:25 AM
Great leg work. Always moving, always fluid. Never "stuck in the mud" Nice Kihon. It's like he was born to it, or something ;) Hard to believe he is Osensei's great-grandson. He looks like he could even have kids of his own.

Asou
01-09-2015, 12:17 AM
is it just me but the sound of uke slamming to the mats sounds just like japanese taisho

dum dum dum dum

and when he finally pin his uke down, dummmm then silent

coincidentally it added awesomeness

Adam Huss
01-09-2015, 04:42 PM
That's some of the best aikido of that style I've seen in awhile!

Currawong
01-13-2015, 12:00 AM
This is the first time I've seen an ikkyou that planted uke straight down on his head.

He looks very much like he is inheriting his father's Aikido, which is always wonderful to watch, especially the suwariwaza which sets an example I hope to emulate, even a little (if my knees will hold up!)

Thanks for sharing!

jvon
01-13-2015, 08:52 PM
Nice lighting. We've sure come a long way since shooting film on Super 8.

The ukemi from 3:27 to 3:54 was troubling. Uke seemed to have the kind of gut-and-butt-clenching reaction that some practitioners sometimes use in an attempt to shut down technique. Accordingly, he becomes a danger to himself, and may miss out on much of the subtlety of his instructor's technique.. From a more positive aspect, we may see here demonstrated why, perhaps, the founder and his senior instructors insisted on cooperative practice.

My favorite three seconds are from 1:29-1:32.

Carl Thompson
01-15-2015, 02:44 PM
The ukemi from 3:27 to 3:54 was troubling.

Hi Joel,

I would agree with the observation that maybe uke runs into a bit of difficulty at that point, but not with the reasoning behind it.
From a more positive aspect, we may see here demonstrated why, perhaps, the founder and his senior instructors insisted on cooperative practice.
The more common view among those who trained extensively with the founder in former Iwama Town (where Waka Sensei currently teaches, in addition to Hombu) was that in practice Osensei insisted on sincere attacks with proper resistance. His demonstrations were another matter. He showed what could not be stolen

Regards

Carl

AsimHanif
01-16-2015, 05:54 AM
I like this demo. I actually think Waka Sensei has made good improvement over the past 2-3 years. He seems much more in control, has slowed down a bit which is helping his timing, and is moving less/controlling his space thus being more efficient with his movement.

mathewjgano
01-16-2015, 02:42 PM
I am in no position to judge, but I enjoyed it greatly! Thank you for sharing it, Jun!