PDA

View Full Version : Danzan Ryu Jujutsu—What exactly is it?

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

Paul Sanderson-Cimino
01-04-2015, 12:27 AM
It appears that you have not posted here in a few weeks.
Given that I think it might have been almost ten years since I've posted, that's kind of a humorous understatement.

What's the general assessment of Danzan-ryu Jujutsu? I'm thinking about studying aikido at a dojo also known for Danzan-ryu. Without being impolite, is it…legitimate? Or is that a sign that I should steer clear of that entire dojo?

(I was about to make a joke along the lines of, "Or is it some kind of ridiculous 'koryu' that mysteriously appeared in the early 20th century". I decided against doing so, first because it seemed disrespectful, and then because I realized that pretty much encompassed aikido and Daito-ryu.)

So, yeah. What's the word on Danzan-ryu? Is it universally regarded as Crazytown? Is it a vague umbrella term for a "style" that isn't really regulated or overseen by any respectable central authority? Is it a pretty regimented style, such that (for good or ill) I can know what to expect?

sorokod
01-04-2015, 12:09 PM
Given that I think it might have been almost ten years since I've posted, that's kind of a humorous understatement.

What's the general assessment of Danzan-ryu Jujutsu? I'm thinking about studying aikido at a dojo also known for Danzan-ryu. Without being impolite, is it…legitimate? Or is that a sign that I should steer clear of that entire dojo?

(I was about to make a joke along the lines of, "Or is it some kind of ridiculous 'koryu' that mysteriously appeared in the early 20th century". I decided against doing so, first because it seemed disrespectful, and then because I realized that pretty much encompassed aikido and Daito-ryu.)

So, yeah. What's the word on Danzan-ryu? Is it universally regarded as Crazytown? Is it a vague umbrella term for a "style" that isn't really regulated or overseen by any respectable central authority? Is it a pretty regimented style, such that (for good or ill) I can know what to expect?

You may want to check out e-budo.com, perhaps try their search first: http://www.e-budo.com/search.php

Janet Rosen
01-04-2015, 08:19 PM
I have never heard anybody try to characterize Aikido as a koryu art....mainly because the adulation of O'Sensei in Aikido ranks would be utterly counter to it.

Malicat
01-04-2015, 09:23 PM

Danzan Ryu is the Hawaiian style jiu jitsu. My Sensei actually studied it under Okazaki Sensei. That being said, I might be slightly suspicious about a mainland dojo that teaches it, as I understand it is kept strictly as a Hawaiian art. He does not teach Danzan Ryu to any of his students here, as none of us are Hawaiian.

--Ashley

Ellis Amdur
01-04-2015, 09:30 PM
Ashley - that is not correct. It certainly might be true of one faction of Danzan-ryu, that claims exclusivity. BUT - Okazaki was Japanese American, and he developed Danzan-ryu (http://www.danzan.com/) from a synthesis of his experiences with various jujutsu koryu, judo and the interplay of a collective of other martial artists in the Hawaiian Islands. It has been taught in the mainland for many decades. There are a lot of a lot of factions (http://www.danzan.com/HTML/dzr_lineage_tree.pdf) But a lot of legit.

Malicat
01-04-2015, 11:30 PM
Ashley - that is not correct. It certainly might be true of one faction of Danzan-ryu, that claims exclusivity. BUT - Okazaki was Japanese American, and he developed Danzan-ryu (http://www.danzan.com/) from a synthesis of his experiences with various jujutsu koryu, judo and the interplay of a collective of other martial artists in the Hawaiian Islands. It has been taught in the mainland for many decades. There are a lot of a lot of factions (http://www.danzan.com/HTML/dzr_lineage_tree.pdf) But a lot of legit.

Sorry, Ellis, you're correct. I was confusing danzan-ryu with Lua.

Paul Sanderson-Cimino
10-22-2015, 01:53 PM
I have never heard anybody try to characterize Aikido as a koryu art....mainly because the adulation of O'Sensei in Aikido ranks would be utterly counter to it.You're quite right. I suppose I meant "inasmuch as aikido people sometimes talk about aikido as coming from the ancient art of Daito-ryu, which might not be so ancient after all".

Ashley - that is not correct. It certainly might be true of one faction of Danzan-ryu, that claims exclusivity. BUT - Okazaki was Japanese American, and he developed Danzan-ryu (http://www.danzan.com/) from a synthesis of his experiences with various jujutsu koryu, judo and the interplay of a collective of other martial artists in the Hawaiian Islands. It has been taught in the mainland for many decades. There are a lot of a lot of factions (http://www.danzan.com/HTML/dzr_lineage_tree.pdf) But a lot of legit.Wow! I think I forgot to check back on my thread after posting it in January. Ellis Amdur posted in my thread!

Thank you. I've actually just started training at a Danzan-ryu dojo, and so far, it seems like a great place. It might be helpful for me, in that I'm so uncoordinated and bad at learning things "instinctively" that I had a very hard time making any progress in judo or BJJ. I think I'm the kind of person who needs some kata to learn the "which foot where" part of things; when I try to "just learn it as you do it", I develop awful technique very slowly. With some more kata, I feel like I can develop passable technique very slowly. Perhaps more importantly, I'm "traditionalist" enough that, without meaning any slight against these people, I find the gym-like atmosphere of most BJJ places just insufficiently engaging. I see a lot of value in dojo that emphasize the idea of budo, and view their practice with a certain moral seriousness. More directly, the people at this dojo seem like very nice people who love what they practice, and do so with a certain (grounded) reverence for the opportunity afforded them by past generations of students and teachers who have conveyed the art to the present time. On the very first day, I heard them say two things that I strongly believe in:

(1) Confidence without arrogance, humility without low self-esteem
(2) Teachers should strive for their students to surpass them (not stay in their shadow forever telling hagiographic stories about the legends of old, with less and less true mastery behind the stories with each generation)

I'm in no position to really comment on the art, but it seems like what BJJ people call JJJ or Traditional Jujutsu. Some elements are reminiscent of aikido, though the ma-ai is much closer. Again, though, I have no clue what I'm talking about.

I'm honestly a little embarrassed at my January post. It sounds monumentally snobby/arrogant/ignorant in retrospect.

Jisen Aiki
02-27-2016, 01:14 AM
I love the syllabus in Danzan ryu. It seems practical