PDA

View Full Version : Judo members PISSED !!!

Please visit our sponsor:

Hogan
08-19-2002, 11:02 AM
And by the way - I am not related to Tyrone :)

Judo Club Members Beat Up Carjacker
By KATE BERRY
Associated Press Writer

August 19, 2002, 6:47 AM CDT

LOS ANGELES -- Florida judo club members beat and doused an alleged carjacker with gasoline then handed over the grimacing, moaning 20-year-old to police officers.

Tyrone Jermaine Hogan, of Los Angeles, held his ribs Sunday and winced in pain as TV news crews recorded his arrest.

"The boys are punching him in the face and I wanted to go around for a choke, to choke him out, but I didn't want to risk getting punched in the head, so I started pounding him from the back," said Christina Baldacci, a Florida International University judo club member.

The Florida judo club members weren't Hogan's first alleged victims.

At 1:30 p.m., Hogan allegedly carjacked a couple, punching the driver, in the face, pulling him out of his Nissan and driving away with his wife in the passenger seat, said police Sgt. Karlene Gibson.

Hogan allegedly tried to steal the woman's purse. Failing, he shoved the woman out of the car. Witnesses followed him but lost sight of him.

Hogan reappeared about six blocks away at a Hollywood gas station.

Meanwhile, the athletes, who were in town to teach a self-defense class, had taken a tour of Hollywood just before stopping for gas on their way to Los Angeles International Airport to return home.

One of the student athletes told police Hogan began harassing another couple before making eye contact with him.

Hogan then asked a team member for money and reached into their rented minivan to try and steal the car keys.

But the match was a mismatch.

"We had this guy like a pretzel on the ground," said Nestor Bustillo, the team's judo instructor.

During the scuffle that broke out between Hogan and a half-dozen team members, the nozzle of a gasoline pump broke off, making the situation dangerous, Bustillo said.

"We were wrestling around, there was gas pumping out and we were trying to subdue this guy," he said.

Hogan was arrested for investigation of felony carjacking, kidnapping and robbery, said Sgt. Allen Hamilton. He was held in lieu of $1.2 million bail.

Some of the judo club members who were doused with gasoline during the scuffle took showers at the LAPD's Hollywood station before the club caught a flight to Miami.
Copyright © 2002, The Associated Press

Steven
08-19-2002, 08:13 PM
I was in L.A. just this weekend (my home town) and this falls into that "Only in L.A" catagory. :-)

I guess this guy is lucky he didn't try to car-jack a car full of karate students or boxers eh? LOL

DaveO
08-21-2002, 06:25 AM
LOL - or hunters. Spareribs, anyone?

Dave

Genex
08-21-2002, 06:50 AM
just had a thought (first today) what if the van had been a small car decorated with flowers and when he reached in 20 or so Ninja's jumped out?

(japanese version of a clown car but deadlier)

sorry too much caffine...

good story tho i bet judo classes in LA fill out a bit for a few months ;)

pete

Bronson
08-23-2002, 02:36 AM
Tonight as I pull up to the dojo where I teach on Tuesday and Thursday nights. The judo folks (there are five arts that share the building) have put "CARJACKERS BEWARE" on the sign out front.

Bronson

giriasis
08-23-2002, 12:37 PM
Not to mention that they were from South Florida. ;)

So what happens when a bunch of Judo people from South Florida go to LA? They beat up carjackers!!!

Chocolateuke
08-26-2002, 11:47 AM
My thing is Don't carjack a car with 5 grown men or women esp mothers they'll be pissed.

erikmenzel
08-29-2002, 04:32 AM
So if understand it correctly,

5 judoka travel all the way from florida to LA to beat up and soak an innocent carjacker in gasoline?? :eek:

And then people claim The Netherlands is a weird country, go figure :D :D

Kevin Leavitt
08-30-2002, 09:37 PM
I was in our Takoma Park Dojo one day training (Wash DC) and someone came in the dojo and announce to one of the guys that his car was just being cased and broken into.

About 5 of us ran out in the street in Hakama and chased the guy off. We had a good laugh since it looked funny seeing a bunch of dudes in dresses running around tyring to be all threatening.

Kyri Honigh
07-09-2004, 09:42 PM
Hehehe bet the carjacker was glad there weren't any smokers among the judoka...hehehe BBQ anyone?? Ouch..

Neil Mick
07-12-2004, 11:54 PM
I was in our Takoma Park Dojo one day training (Wash DC) and someone came in the dojo and announce to one of the guys that his car was just being cased and broken into.

About 5 of us ran out in the street in Hakama and chased the guy off. We had a good laugh since it looked funny seeing a bunch of dudes in dresses running around trying to be all threatening.

Lol, funny.

Something similar happened up at a dojo in SF, when I was a student there (tho, not on a day I trained, so I didn't see it).

There's an alley right next to the dojo, where the occasional heroin addict sometimes goes to shoot up. Understandably, the Sensei was a little sensitive, to passersby.

So, one day some dude decides he needs to break into a car in the alley. The Sensei sees it and goes into "red-alert" mode: he orders everyone to grab a jo and restrain the malcontent.

Except, the Sensei gets a little carried away (according to several witnesses there). He whacks the guy with the jo a few times and then pins him, with several other members helping out. Apparently, the potential carjacker was terrified, and gave up after initially trying to get away. The cops came and hauled him off to jail, and the Sensei got a thank-you letter from the car-owner, which he hangs on his bulletin-board (likely, to this day).

I was SO tempted to put up a sign around the dojo: "WARNING: entering anti-carjacking territory. Perp's WILL experience the wrong end of a randori! This is your final warning!"
:)

akiy
07-13-2004, 08:18 AM
Kind of along the same lines but without a happy ending, a kickboxer named Alex Gong in San Francisco was shot and killed after chasing down a guy who ran into Alex's parked car. The shooter shot himself later:

http://www.defendu.com/gong.htm

-- Jun