PDA

View Full Version : I think I'd need two copies.

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

Krystal Locke
11-01-2014, 07:22 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aikido-to-Make-you-Beautiful-Book-by-Kaoru-Yumi-Martial-Arts-/161410703706?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2594d3e15a

Maybe three.

Holy Crap. $129????????

Malicat
11-01-2014, 07:44 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aikido-to-Make-you-Beautiful-Book-by-Kaoru-Yumi-Martial-Arts-/161410703706?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2594d3e15a

Maybe three.

Holy Crap. $129????????

Rip off, you can get it for 80 bucks on Amazon! Maybe this book can tell me what I have been doing wrong, because no make up, bright red skin, and being all sweaty is not helping me be beautiful so far!

Janet Rosen
11-01-2014, 08:49 PM
Rip off, you can get it for 80 bucks on Amazon! Maybe this book can tell me what I have been doing wrong, because no make up, bright red skin, and being all sweaty is not helping me be beautiful so far!

LOL! When I had been training about 6 or 7 months and starting to roll more, my glasses were falling off. So I told Stu I was going to look into contact lenses. He said, "why don't you just get one of those elastic bands to keep your glasses on?"
I said he must be nuts, those are so ugly and nerdy.
And he said I must be nuts because I was already getting sweaty, flushed, huffy and puffy and wearing a big thick white outfit that made me look like I was a lot heavier than I already was...
And I said, "and your point is?" and went and got the damn contacts.

Peter Goldsbury
11-01-2014, 10:47 PM
To be fair to Ms. Yumi, I think one should add that the book came out in 1983 and has been long out of print. The E-Bay and Amazon offerings are for used copies.

Yumi Kaoru was a regular performer of demonstrations at the annual jamboree put on by the Aikikai in Tokyo each May and she was always a star turn, rather like Doshu is now. I can also remember a demonstration held in Hiroshima around 1980 at the annual Flower Festival. She appeared with her dancing teacher in tow (his name is Nishino Kouzo and it is he who has written the book -- along with many, many others) and her uke was Yokota Yoshiaki, now a respected 7th dan Hombu shihan, but famous at the time of the demonstration for getting into bar fights -- which he did not always win. He took spectacular ukemi for her.

Ms. Yumi is sometimes seen on Japanese TV, especially in reruns of serials like Mito Komon. I think she appeals to an older generation of Japanese -- and I'm pretty sure her book was a bestseller when it was published, hence the high price of the few used copies available.

Janet Rosen
11-02-2014, 12:52 AM
Peter, once again, you come through with interesting and (to us younger modern American aikidoka) delightfully arcane information to put things into perspective. Domo!

Greg Jennings
11-03-2014, 08:58 AM
And he said I must be nuts because I was already getting sweaty, flushed, huffy and puffy and wearing a big thick white outfit that made me look like I was a lot heavier than I already was....
The Stu Man wasn't having a good day there.

Long before Aikido, I learned marital aikido...

"Yes, dear. I think that's a great idea." <and later> "You know, I've been thinking about trading up to a Kreighoff K80 tube set."

Susan Dalton
11-09-2014, 06:09 PM
I love you, Janet!!! I was just thinking that I've been doing aikido for going on 24 years and while I have not gotten beautiful, I have gotten older.

Janet Rosen
11-09-2014, 11:23 PM
I love you, Janet!!! I was just thinking that I've been doing aikido for going on 24 years and while I have not gotten beautiful, I have gotten older.

Huge hug and lotsa love back at ya, Susan - you mean we aren't in it for the Glamor?????
I was misinformed....:)