PDA

View Full Version : Hello, World!

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

Tobraham
08-02-2014, 06:29 PM
I'll be starting my Aikido journey on August 18th at Nippon-Kan at the ripe old age of 43. Look forward to learning a lot from everyone here!

:)

Marie Noelle Fequiere
08-06-2014, 10:31 AM
I'll be starting my Aikido journey on August 18th at Nippon-Kan at the ripe old age of 43. Look forward to learning a lot from everyone here!

Welcome to the Aikiweb! We are looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Greg Jennings
08-06-2014, 11:48 AM
Welcome!

I used to go out there one a year when Homma Sensei hosted Saito Sensei. It's a beautiful dojo. You're a lucky man.

Tobraham
08-19-2014, 06:59 AM
Welcome!

I used to go out there one a year when Homma Sensei hosted Saito Sensei. It's a beautiful dojo. You're a lucky man.

Just had my first class last night. Very good atmosphere. I didn't expect to be doing much on day 1 honestly - thought it would be more about etiquette and traditions so we wouldn't screw anything up as freshman, but we were blocking strikes right out of the gate. We had about 6 uchideshi in the room with us and I made it my goal to practice with all of them. It was fantastic. They were all very helpful and all had their own very different input when it came to assisting me with adjusting my form. The language barrier was not a problem at all and I am grateful for their level of care and attention to detail..

lbb
08-19-2014, 07:06 AM
Second lesson, I expect, will be understanding that what you're doing isn't "blocking". Or at least, isn't supposed to be ;-)

Janet Rosen
08-19-2014, 05:26 PM
Second lesson, I expect, will be understanding that what you're doing isn't "blocking". Or at least, isn't supposed to be ;-)

:D

Tobraham
08-19-2014, 09:49 PM

Touché! I use that term loosely. Way to pick on the new guy!

lbb
08-20-2014, 07:32 AM
Nah, Toby, I'm still learning that lesson.

Greg Jennings
08-21-2014, 07:53 AM
Depending on who is teaching and what, specifically, they are teaching, there can be a fundamental that on the face of it looks like blocking.

It's really more of occupying the space that they need to generate power. Sometimes people call it "jamming".

Greg Jennings
08-21-2014, 10:55 AM
Addendum. Google "Morihiro Saito Sensei Yokomen Uchi Variations".

Watch how the Saito Sensei proactively occupies the space. There is a wealth of knowledge there.

Note that I'm *not* saying that that's the way to do what you were doing or the "right" way to do yokomenuchi. I'm *only* saying that it's very much worth breaking down carefully.

lbb
08-21-2014, 11:56 AM
OP is probably not quite there yet, Greg ;-)

Greg Jennings
08-21-2014, 12:10 PM
We will have to agree to disagree. IMHO, there is something there for students of all levels.

fatebass21
12-13-2014, 10:23 AM
Welcome Toby!

How have the last few months been?