View Full Version : Gokyo or Rokyo?

Please visit our sponsor:

08-16-2002, 03:33 AM
Can anybody describe to me the differences between the two, we were doing them last night but for the life of me i cant remember which is which

is gokyo the one where you bring their arm to your chest and use your elbow to pivot or is it where your almost doing an Ikkyo but not because theres more of a twist and a flick instead of a push?

i cant remember lol

Had fun doing them tho

08-16-2002, 04:31 AM
Gokyo is very simular to Ikkyo, different grip on the hand. Sort of ikkyo variant for knife attacks.

Rokkyo is, I believe, what we call Hijikimeosae where I train. It hurts a lot (or can do).



08-16-2002, 05:48 AM
Gokyo is like ikkyo or nikkyo with a change in the grip (uke has a tanto) and the take away is on the mat with ukes hand moved close up to the shoulder and a slight press down on the elbow to release (very painful and can break if done hard). Rokkyo is against the elbow, straight down. Uke ends up moving to the back of nage slightly. Wish I could draw a picture of it to explain it better, but the best image I can think of is that rokkyo works against a straight elbow with uke ending up face down onto the mat with hips up (or at least the way I end up-which isn't necessarily right).

08-16-2002, 06:06 AM

Dont worry you both cleared that up good and proper

Gokyo is the twisty ikkyo type one and the Rokyo is the pull arm to chest and cause imence amounts of pain!!!

for the gokyo i always imagine sweeping the floor with my Uke hehe really hurts when you do that tho,

now i've gotta see how many ways i can apply my 6 techniques Ai hanmi, Gaku hanmi, roto dori, not to mention obviously knife attacks

aikido just gets better and better.


08-16-2002, 09:12 AM
To add a bit to what others have written above, gokyo is otherwise known as "ude nobashi" or "arm stretch" and ikkyo is also known as "ude osae" or "arm pin." Rokyo is known as "ude hishigi" (basically, "arm breaking"), hijishime ("elbow squeeze"), and wakigatame ("cementing against the side").

I hear that rokkyo is the only technique commonly done in aikido that goes "against" the joint (ie trying to bend a joint in the opposite direction that it was meant to bend).

In my experience, just like the rest of aikido, trusting that causing pain will make a technique effective is unreliable. Rather than pressing down on the elbow, I try to break uke's balance through the "straight arm."

Just my thoughts...

-- Jun

08-17-2002, 10:10 AM
Jun, what about the kokyunage whereby you are held ai hanmi, and then you irimi tenkan to his holding hand side and use your free hand to extend up and outwards to throw.

usually balance breaking is enough to throw someone forwards especially if you get the momentum right, but some people enjoy lifting your elbows up before throwing you. Acts in a very similar way to Rokyo me thinks.

08-17-2002, 10:45 AM
Hi Ahmad,

The throw you're describing seems to me like "hiji nage" or "tenbin nage." I guess you're right in saying that this technique could go "against the joint" as well as rokyo. Of course, the technique should work (as should rokyo) without the main point being the strain on the joint -- I've found hiji nage works a lot better when thought of in terms of breaking uke's balance...

-- Jun

08-19-2002, 01:38 AM
Thanks! One more name to impress the kids with... :)