PDA

View Full Version : Fight Finishing Aikido

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

Sojourner
06-18-2014, 10:01 PM
Interesting Article by Kristine Cao in the Australian Martial Arts Magazine "Blitz",

I wont post the whole article but here is the introduction,

"Fight-Finishing Aikido
Written by Kristine Cao
Understanding the principles that make aikido effective

Itís been said that perhaps aikido isnít such a practical martial art; that it lacks real-world effectiveness and focuses too much on the spiritual or philosophical aspects of the art; that itís too Ďdanceyí or soft in its execution to work against real violence. That stems from misunderstandings of the artís principles and too little knowledge of its many options for finishing fights quickly and without fuss, writes Yoshinkan aikidoka Kristine Cao"Continued at link below -

http://www.blitzmag.net/training/aikido/223-fight-finishing-aikido-

PeterR
06-19-2014, 01:38 AM
The first technique discussed is aigamai-ate done in an almost Shodokan kihon way. A very good choice to demonstrate the thrust of the article. Aikido does have a lot of very direct, simple techniques that can face an aggressive attack if properly trained for.

I liked the article - thought it was well written and made some good points.

JP3
06-22-2014, 11:34 AM
Love this quote, "Don't mistake the word ‘basic' for ‘easy' -"

No kidding. I tell my beginners all the time, "This is very simple. I didn't say it was easy, just simple."

I just finished another round of training with JW Bode, a student of Sensei Gies back int the day for quite a while, who has taken his aikido into penitentiaries, on felony arrests, and into cells for extracting armed prisoners. He uses aikido, and has never sent anyone to the hospital after an encounter (more than 3,000) felony arrests and hundreds of the cell extractions), nor has he had to go for himself - the telling factoid.

Aikido "can be" flowy and pretty and mystical and spiritual and all those other things that make people who don't know what they are seeing think it's BS, right? But, it can be devastating, brutal, effective as all get out and puts paid to an attacker in one swift movement and assist by the 9.2 meters per second squared.