PDA

View Full Version : Hello from the UK

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

firebladejedi
06-17-2014, 03:09 AM
Hello, my name is Mark and I am from the UK.

I found this site by googling something a few weeks ago and have been back a few times to have a read and find this site quite informative and most interesting..

When I was a teenager just a few years ago, in the late 80's, I probably like many watched a film by Steven Seagal the UK release title was Nico. I was hooked and suddenly wanted to learn Aikido. So my father found a local dojo and I began training.

After a couple of years a work colleague and friend of my father opened a Jiu-Jitsu dojo and I went along there too. I still train under that same teacher today, 23 years or so later!

Anyway after a while I stopped going to Aikido classes but always remained fascinated by it and went back a few times as an adult to pick up where I had left off.

Then sometime in about the year 2000 I tried Kendo, which I really enjoyed, but unfortunately due to life I was unable to continue training.

I remember after recovering from a particularly nasty motorcycle accident in around 2004 when I shattered by pelvis in over 10 places I went back to Aikido for some time with my original Aikido teacher and once again enjoyed the art.

Around 4 years ago I started to train in Judo to compliment my Jiu-Jitsu training, as I just love class and hope to practise when I can. Always with the Jiu-Jitsu and always looking to compliment it with another traditional art..

So then more recently I have a new job working very unsociable shifts, mainly weekends and night, I train when I can and another fascination of mine is the katana, and although I have done some training within the other arts I practise, I had never really had any what I would call formal traning and after my most recent grading in Jiu-Jitsu I have taken up Iai Batto Do, which I find very interesting indeed.

And then about 2 months ago I once again decided to look up my old Aikido teacher but this time found that he had closed his dojo due to dwindling numbers. But I found another teacher in my city and have been going when I can when work allows.

It has been around ten years since my last classes, but Aikido has not changed and it is just as I remember it from when I was a teenager.

Anyway that is a little introduction from me, I have many other interesting hobbies that maybe I will talk about in another part of the forum.

Im now going to have a quick read here before my Aikido class this evening..

Mark

akiy
06-17-2014, 11:37 AM
Hi Mark,

Thank you for your introduction and welcome to AikiWeb.

-- Jun