View Full Version : Etiquette for chosing between two dojos

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

06-16-2014, 05:56 AM
Dear all,

Due to my job, I recently moved to Japan (for a couple of years), and I wish to continue practising Aikido here. Close to the place where I live (Kanto region), there are two different dojos with two different practice styles. I wanted to compare each of them and choose the one which most fits my learning desire, so I asked both of them if I could do one trial lesson and went.

Now that I made my choice, I don't know how to proceed with the other dojo. After making one trial session, I am afraid to be rude if I do not give any news, as well as if I tell them honestly that I choose to practice at the other dojo.

Do you have any advice (especially people who have practiced in Japan) ? Was it a mistake to make like I did and to go comparing different dojos ?

Thank you very much.

06-16-2014, 06:21 PM
It wasn't a mistake at all. You did exactly the right thing. As long as you were up-front at the outset that you weren't making a commitment yet, I don't think you need to do anything. If you want, you can go to the other dojo and let them know that you have chosen the other one. I'm sure they won't mind. I don't think it's necessary, though.

By the way, where are you training? (kanto is a big place)

06-17-2014, 11:36 AM
Hi Robin,

Let's keep from asking specifics here (e.g., specific dojo), as this is the Anonymous forum.

-- Jun

06-17-2014, 05:54 PM
Oops. Sorry Jun and Newbie. I wasn't looking at where this was posted (it just showed up on the right hand side of my screen.

06-18-2014, 02:25 AM
No problem, thank you very much for your answer.