PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth the effort and expense to go to Japan?

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

Peter Boylan
02-16-2014, 09:14 PM
Is it really worth all the bother and expense to travel to Japan just for some training? A lot depends on who you are going to train with and who you will be spending time with. If you're just going to be part of the crowd on the mat somewhere, it might be worth it as a sightseeing exercise, but I doubt it has much value from a budo training point of view. On the other hand, if you make connections with great teachers, spend time with them and get to know them as people, it just might be worth it. My budo blog post this week is about why I do it.

http://budobum.blogspot.com/2014/02/why-i-go-to-effort-to-go-to-japan.html

sakumeikan
02-17-2014, 11:36 AM
Is it really worth all the bother and expense to travel to Japan just for some training? A lot depends on who you are going to train with and who you will be spending time with. If you're just going to be part of the crowd on the mat somewhere, it might be worth it as a sightseeing exercise, but I doubt it has much value from a budo training point of view. On the other hand, if you make connections with great teachers, spend time with them and get to know them as people, it just might be worth it. My budo blog post this week is about why I do it.

http://budobum.blogspot.com/2014/02/why-i-go-to-effort-to-go-to-japan.html

Dear Peter,
I will soon be able to answer your query personally.I have tried to visit Japan four times , but due to circumstances outside my control the trips were cancelled
Browsing through a newspaper I saw an advert for a12 day tour of Japan.Decided to book said tour.So hopefully I shall be there in June.Being of sound mind I may well just take in the delights of the various paces me and my good lady will visit.If by chance I end up in Aikido H.Q. thats ok.
Might chew the fat with Miyamoto Sensei and others.I want to get a feel for the country, not be
tugged around and knocked about by some enthusiastic Asian. My Kami Kaze days are behind me.Just visiting for the Sapporo /Sushi and the odd Mc Donalds. So dear readers{ both of you]keep an eye out for further adventures of a geriatric Aikidoka. Staying at the Grand Pacific Hotel, near Tokyo Bayfor a couple of days, then a cruise around various places including Nagasaki.
Cheers, Joe.

oisin bourke
02-17-2014, 02:20 PM
Dear Peter,
I will soon be able to answer your query personally.I have tried to visit Japan four times , but due to circumstances outside my control the trips were cancelled
Browsing through a newspaper I saw an advert for a12 day tour of Japan.Decided to book said tour.So hopefully I shall be there in June.Being of sound mind I may well just take in the delights of the various paces me and my good lady will visit.If by chance I end up in Aikido H.Q. thats ok.
Might chew the fat with Miyamoto Sensei and others.I want to get a feel for the country, not be
tugged around and knocked about by some enthusiastic Asian. My Kami Kaze days are behind me.Just visiting for the Sapporo /Sushi and the odd Mc Donalds. So dear readers{ both of you]keep an eye out for further adventures of a geriatric Aikidoka. Staying at the Grand Pacific Hotel, near Tokyo Bayfor a couple of days, then a cruise around various places including Nagasaki.
Cheers, Joe.

Joe, you'll have a great time. You and your wife should really get to an onsen for a couple of days. Don't worry about the getting naked bit. It'll take years off you, I promise:)

sakumeikan
02-17-2014, 06:04 PM
Joe, you'll have a great time. You and your wife should really get to an onsen for a couple of days. Don't worry about the getting naked bit. It'll take years off you, I promise:)

Dear Oisin
Get naked you say?Dont want to frighten the locals!!Anyway I have not got a large portfolio to exhibit .Never been asked the following question'Is that a bokken your carrying or are you just pleased to see me'.Cheers, Joe.

Peter Boylan
02-18-2014, 08:29 AM
Joe,

Since you're going primarily for the sightseeing, I'm sure you'll enjoy it. It's only when people are going for training that value can be lacking.

Oh, and definitely take Oisin's advice and spend a night at an onsen. You'll love every minute of it.